The MA in Chinese Culture at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University aims to:
- develop and extend students’ knowledge of key aspects of Chinese culture;
- deepen students’ understanding of Chinese culture;
- enhance students’ appreciation of Chinese culture;
- broaden students’ knowledge of cultural heritage and its management in China;
- build foundation for students’ further research on Chinese culture and teaching Chinese culture in schools.
Upon the successful completion of the programme, students should be able to:
(1) Professional competence of specialists/ leaders of a discipline/ profession
- appreciate the relevance of Chinese thoughts and values to the modern world in their daily life;
- demonstrate a sound knowledge of the roots and development of Chinese culture;
- express a deep understanding and appreciation of the forms and spirits of Chinese culture;
- understand the importance of cultural heritage;
(2) Strategic thinking
- be able to integrate discrete domains of knowledge for analysis and for formulating action to solve problems, conduct independent research and think holistically;
(3) Lifelong learning capability
- develop interest in Chinese culture and be equipped with skills to explore the complexity of Chinese culture on their own.
- Chinese Dietary Culture
- Chinese Customs and Etiquettes
- Underground Societies in China
- Folk Beliefs and Occult Science
- Gender and Sexuality in Modern China
- Chinese Films and Society
- Special Topic on Society and Culture
- Government and Education in Confucianism
- Buddhism and Chinese Culture
- Daoism and Chinese Culture
- Islam, Christianity and Chinese Culture
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies View 23 other Masters in Language Studies in Hong Kong (SAR)
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- As for the Master's degree or Postgraduate Diploma, the basic requirement is a Bachelor's degree from an institution that is recognised by PolyU.
International18690 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 623 USD per credit during 12 months.
National14100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 470 USD per credit during 12 months.
- HK$3,650 per credit for local students
- HK$4,835 per credit for non-local students
Living costs for Hong Kong
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.