- This is a qualifying specialisation – students from a non-counselling background can study this postgraduate counselling degree. Graduates of this specialisation meet the educational requirements for entry into the counselling profession.
- Study counselling frameworks, professional practice and ethics, and counselling assessment and interventions.
- This Counselling (Foundations of Practice) program from the University of Southern Queensland provides you with the maximum choice to customise your training. In addition to the foundation of practice core courses, you can choose from a wide range of approved subjects from across the specialisation.
- This degree provides you with the opportunity to undertake a substantial research project or choose to do a smaller capstone project to further your research skills.
- To enhance your practice, you’ll attend mandatory residential schools at USQ Ipswich campus to meet the required number of hours of face-to-face instruction.
- Career opportunities exist in a range of counselling and human services roles within government, non-government, and private organisations, or alternatively, graduates may become self-employed in private practice. Additionally, graduates may have opportunities to progress into doctoral studies.
This specialisation within the Master of Counselling is accredited by the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA) and the Australian Counselling Association (ACA).
- Counselling Skills and Applications
- Professional Counselling Practice, Identity and Ethics
- Counselling Framework
- Counselling Issues and Contexts
- Group Counselling Process and Practice
- Research Methodology for the Human Sciences
- Masters Counselling Practicum
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
- There are mandatory residential schools and online tutorials for five courses in this degree.
DisciplinesCounselling Psychology View 18 other Masters in Counselling Psychology in Australia
CRICOS: QLD 00244B, NSW 02225MThere are two different admission requirement processes depending on whether the student is studying stream 1 – the qualifying Master of Counselling, or stream 2, the Master of Counselling (Advanced Practice).
Stream 1: Qualifying Master of Counselling
- Completion of an Australian university 3-year bachelor degree, or equivalent, in any area.
- Completion of at least 50% of the Graduate Diploma of Counselling at USQ and have a grade point average (GPA) of 5 or higher, or equivalent qualification from another institution.
- Provide two satisfactory Referee Reports and a report to address the Selection Criteria indicating the applicant's abilities to successfully undertake the professional and research components of the program; and
- Participate in an interview with a panel of School staff.
International30320 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30320 AUD per year during 24 months.
National23440 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23440 AUD per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.