- Specialise in supporting those with mental health conditions. Develop your expertise in topics including mental health paradigms, psychological disorders, their aetiology, evidence-based treatment approaches, and assessment models.
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the context of mental health practice and study the theories, legislation, policies and standards that underpin mental health practice in Australia.
- This degree provides you with the opportunity to undertake a substantial research project or choose to do a smaller capstone project to further your research skills.
- You can study the Master of Counselling online to fit study into your life.
- To enhance your practice, you’ll attend mandatory residential schools at USQ Ipswich campus to meet the required number of hours of face-to-face instruction.
Career outcomes after the Mental Health Counselling program at the University of Southern Queensland
- Career opportunities exist in a range of counselling and human services roles within government, non-government, and private organisations, or alternatively, graduates may become self-employed in private practice. Additionally, graduates may have opportunities to progress into doctoral studies.
This specialisation within the Master of Counselling is accredited by the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA) and the Australian Counselling Association (ACA).
Counselling Skills and Applications
Professional Counselling Practice, Identity and Ethics
Counselling Issues and Contexts
Contexts of Mental Health Counselling
Mental Health Practice
Child and Youth Counselling
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesCounselling Psychology View 18 other Masters in Counselling Psychology in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CRICOS: QLD 00244B, NSW 02225M
There are two different admission requirement processes depending on whether the student is studying stream 1 – the qualifying Master of Counselling, or stream 2, the Master of Counselling (Advanced Practice).
Stream 1: Qualifying Master of Counselling
- Completion of an Australian university 3-year bachelor degree, or equivalent, in any area.
- Completion of at least 50% of the Graduate Diploma of Counselling at USQ and have a grade point average (GPA) of 5 or higher, or equivalent qualification from another institution.
- Provide two satisfactory Referee Reports and a report to address the Selection Criteria indicating the applicant's abilities to successfully undertake the professional and research components of the program; and
- Participate in an interview with a panel of School staff.
International30320 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30320 AUD per year during 24 months.
National23440 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23440 AUD per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.