- This is a qualifying Alcohol and Drug Studies program from the University of Southern Queensland – students from a non-counselling background can study this postgraduate counselling degree. Graduates of this specialisation meet the educational requirements for entry into the counselling profession.
- Learn a range of treatment approaches including motivational interviewing and relapse prevention.
- This degree provides you with the opportunity to undertake a substantial research project or choose to do a smaller capstone project to further your research skills.
- You can study our Master of Counselling online to make it easier to fit study into your life.
- To enhance your practice, you’ll attend mandatory residential schools at USQ Ipswich campus to meet the required number of hours of face-to-face instruction.
- Career opportunities exist in a range of counselling and human services roles within government, non-government, and private organisations, or alternatively, graduates may become self-employed in private practice. Additionally, graduates may have opportunities to progress into doctoral studies.
This specialisation within the Master of Counselling is accredited by the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA) and the Australian Counselling Association (ACA).
- Counselling Skills and Applications
- Professional Counselling Practice, Identity and Ethics
- Counselling Frameworks
- Counselling Issues and Contexts
- Group Counselling Process and Practice
- Research Methodology for the Human Sciences
- Masters Counselling Practicum
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
- You can apply throughout the year and for courses that start in three different semesters
- Apply early, to make sure you secure a place
DisciplinesPublic Health School Counselling Counselling Psychology View 13 other Masters in School Counselling in Australia
CRICOS: QLD 00244B, NSW 02225M
There are two different admission requirement processes depending on whether the student is studying stream 1 – the qualifying Master of Counselling, or stream 2, the Master of Counselling (Advanced Practice).
Stream 1: Qualifying Master of Counselling
- Completion of an Australian university 3-year bachelor degree, or equivalent, in any area.
- Completion of at least 50% of the Graduate Diploma of Counselling at USQ and have a grade point average (GPA) of 5 or higher, or equivalent qualification from another institution.
- Provide two satisfactory Referee Reports and a report to address the Selection Criteria indicating the applicant's abilities to successfully undertake the professional and research components of the program; and
- Participate in an interview with a panel of School staff.
International30320 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30320 AUD per year during 24 months.
National24560 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24560 AUD per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.