The programme combines theory and practice in a cross-sectorial way, incorporating various academic disciplines such as the humanities, architecture, conservation, ecology, management, tourism, marketing and beyond. It thus emphasizes the link between culture and nature, tangible and intangible heritage values, conservation and sustainable development.
Established in 1999, the World Heritage Studies programme at The Brandenburg University of Technology Cottbus - Senftenberg is the first programme in the world to design its curriculum around the UNESCO Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage. The programme recognizes that heritage can and should be protected from a wide range of perspectives and in a contemporary context. To this end, the programme prioritizes critical reflection on present-day issues such as changing demographics, environmental fragility, and economic inequalities. Students will develop the skills and knowledge needed to successfully work in professional heritage fields, furthermore working to define and re-contextualize heritage for future generations.
Professional Fields of Activity
- Our graduates work in a wide spectrum of professional fields, including: UNESCO offices and national commissions, heritage site management, heritage organisations in the public and private sectors, consultancy firms, tourism operators, museums, universities, and other heritage related institutions.
- The inspiration, curiosity, professionalism and networks gained through this programme allow each student to personalize their relationship to World Heritage, thus bringing a unique and qualified perspective to the field.
The World Heritage Studies curriculum includes:
- two Mandatory Courses totaling 12 credits ECTS (Introduction/Coaching and World Heritage Studies - Body of Knowledge);
- Compulsory Elective Courses in four module areas (Humanities and Social Sciences; Arts, Architecture and Conservation; Natural Heritage and Cultural Landscapes; Management), totaling 54 credits ECTS;
- two Study Projects totaling 24 credits ECTS;
- the Master's thesis totaling 30 credits ECTS
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at The Brandenburg University of Technology Cottbus - Senftenberg and/or in Germany, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree or equivalent in Cultural Sciences or other study areas relevant to the World Heritage Studies curriculum (Humanities, Social Sciences, Architecture, Archaeology, Art History, Conservation, Environmental Sciences, Geography, Cultural Management or Tourism);
- English language proficiency demonstrated in one of the following ways: TOEFL internet-based with a score of 79 points or higher; IELTS Academic with an overall band score of 6.5 or higher; Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English with grade B or higher; Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English with grade B or higher.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per semester during 24 months.
- Semester fee 351,66 €
Living costs for Cottbus
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.