The Translation and Interpreting in Three Languages program of the An-Najah National University also targets professional and competent translators who will serve the local community and exchange their experiences and knowledge within an academic framework.
- Graduating competent translators who can work in any language combination of the programme: Arabic, English and French.
- Developing the academic and professional qualifications of graduates of languages and other disciplines to improve their employability in the labour market.
- Providing services and infrastructure for translation through introducing students to the basic skills of translation and language use and through offering them practical training in these skills.
- Introducing students to the theoretical issues in linguistics and translation studies, promoting scientific research in various fields of translation and qualifyingspecialists in translation.
The Programme aims at reinforcing cultural exchange and developing graduates’ academic and professional skills.
The French Consulate is interested in supporting the programme technically and financially and in offering training opportunities to An-Najah and Birzeit staff. There is a unique opportunity for training staff members at French and European institutions
Teaching and Learning
All courses in translation and interpreting are given in the form of workshops where students practice translation by simulating the labour market. The workshops are given by professional translators.
The other courses are given by specialized academics.
Students should spend 120 hours in practical training to qualify for the labor market and practice the translation profession.
After that, graduates are required to write their theses in coordination with their advisors.
Expected graduates may work:
- as referee translators
- as free lancers
- with the National Commission for Translation
- in the public or private sectors
- with Foreign Institutions
- at Arab and international institutions
- in translation research
- in the diplomatic field
- in areas where technical writing and editing of documents and websites are considered to be important
- in research institutions
- in teaching languages and translation
- in UN organizations
Coursework and Assessment
Students are evaluated through:
- Quarterly research papers
- Oral and written presentations
- Classroom discussions
- A thesis
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Translation & Interpreting Linguistics View 7 other Masters in Language Studies in Palestinian Territory, Occupied
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Prospective applicant should have a Bachelor degree from An-Najah National University or its equivalent from a Faculty or university credited by An-Najah National University.
- A Placement Test for the major he/she is applying to.
- Prospective applicant should be willing to meet with the Supervising Committee for a personal interview if the Specialised Department Council recommends that.
- Earning a competitive GPA, is a matter usually determined and computed by the Specialized Department by the following formula: An applicant’s Bachelor’s GPA counts 70% and the applicant’s results on the Skills / Placement Exam and personal interview counts 30%.
- An original or official transcript or copy of certified from both the university from which the applicant graduated and the Palestinian ministry of higher learning.
- A certificate of work experience, if available.
- Two recommendation Letters from faculty members or professionals.
- Personal photo.
Living costs for Nablus
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.