Hasselt University offers 3 unique Master of Statistics programmes:
- Biostatistics focuses on statistical and quantitative methodology for medicine, agriculture, forestry, environmental sciences, and beyond.
- Bioinformatics focuses on analysis of omics data, data mining, computer-intensive methods, and advanced programming.
- Epidemiology and Public Health Methodology focuses on study of the distribution and determinants of health-related outcomes and diseases in populations.
Enrolling for the DL Program means that as a student you will take the program from a distance, i.e. from home, workplace or virtually any place with access to the internet.
The on- and the off-campus program will be offered in parallel, synchronized as far as practically feasible, and with maximal flexibility. It will be possible to switch between the on-campus and off-campus programs. The content and learning outcomes within and across courses are identical.
Strengths of the Programme
- Built upon the expertise of the Center of Statistics with more than 30 years of research in biostatistics, bioinformatics and epidemiology & public health methodology
- Strong emphasis on lifelong learning and employability skills such as communication (writing and presenting), critical attitude and working in team
- Internationally and multidisciplinary oriented
- Contains a large diversity of educational formats and study materials such as lectures, weblectures, quizzes, projects, homework assignments, discussion groups and digital learning environment
- Based on student-centered education: small groups, individual guidance and feedback, group work, feedback sessions
- Internationally accredited by the Royal Statistical Society (RSS, UK), allowing graduates to apply for the professional quality label of Graduate Statistician at RSS
Career Prospects for Graduates
- Working in biopharmaceutical companies, in the role of clinical trial statistician or in management
- Working in health research institutes, food safety departments, health knowledge centers, regulatory authorities for clinical trials, etc.
- Working in public health institutes, in the role of quantitative epidemiologist, statistician or managing
- Serving on data monitoring committees to protect patient safety
- Support fundamental research in academia by pursuing a PhD
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Software and Data Management
- Probability and Statistics
- Learning from Data
- Medical and Molecular Biology
- Linear Models
- Bayesian Inference
- Generalized Linear Models
- Multivariate and Hierarchical Data
- Computer Intensive Methods
- Longitudinal Data Analysis
- Data Mining
- Master Thesis
Courses for Biostatistics:
- Nonparametric methods
- Sampling Theory
- Statistical Inference
- Survival Data Analysis
- Advanced Modeling Techniques
- Bayesian Data Analysis
- Clinical Trials
Courses for Bioinformatics:
- Algorithms and Programming
- Statistical and Computational Methods for Integrated Analysis
- Advanced Programming
- Analysis of High Dimensional Omics Data
- Analysis of Protein Expression
- Advanced Methods for Genomics
Courses for Epidemiology & Public Health Methodology:
- Concepts of Epidemiology
- Sampling Theory
- Microbial Risk Assessment
- Spatial Epidemiology
- Environmental Epidemiology
- Modelling Infectious Diseases
- Mathematical Biology and Epidemiology
- Incomplete Data
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
- Apply before , Local
DisciplinesBiology Statistics Health Informatics
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Students should hold at least a university diploma or degree certificate or a diploma of higher education equivalent to a bachelor degree (180 ECTS credit points).
- Admission is given directly to holders of an academic bachelor or master, obtained from a Belgian university, in mathematics, physics, computer sciences, chemistry, biology, life sciences, medicine, psychology, artificial intelligence, biotechnology, bio-, business- or civil engineering.
International2083 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2083 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA938 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 938 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.