The Nursing - Family Nurse Practitioner program at Southern Connecticut State University consists of 24 credits in core courses, 18 credits in the FNP role courses (3 courses), and either 6 credits for a thesis or 3 credits for a special project. The 3 FNP Role courses require 220 hours of clinical practice each semester, in addition to weekly classroom time. The student and faculty work together to locate a suitable and appropriate clinical site and preceptor for each student.
A total of 660 clinical hours is required to complete the FNP program. These hours include practice in women's health, pediatrics, family practice and internal medicine including practice with older adults.
Graduates with Nursing - Family Nurse Practitioner from Southern Connecticut State University will be able to:
- Integrate scientific findings from nursing, biological, and social sciences to advance nursing practice along the healthcare continuum.
- Conduct research, translate research findings, and critically analyze data and evidence to integrate into advanced nursing practice.
- Assume complex and advanced leadership roles to initiate and guide positive change at the individual, group, and system levels to improve practice processes and outcomes.
- Intervene at the system level through policy development and advocacy regarding regulatory, financial, and political factors to improve practice processes and outcomes.
- Facilitate open communication, collaboration, mutual respect and shared decision-making amongst key stakeholders in the practice and/or educational environments.
- Direct and provide patient-centered care integrating advanced knowledge of nursing and relevant sciences and humanities to improve health care outcomes.
- Design interventions using advanced knowledge to promote individual and population health, wellness, and disease prevention at the global/local level.
- Integrate appropriate technologies for knowledge management, coordination of care, and complex decision making to improve healthcare quality and safety.
- Models professional behaviors incorporating advanced knowledge and awareness of social justice, legal/ethical standards, regulatory processes, and professional codes.
- Utilize safety science and quality improvement methods for continuous improvement the delivery of safe care.
- Nursing Theories and Conceptual Models
- Legal Issues in Healthcare
- Role of Family Nurse Practitioner
- Healthcare Informatics for Nursing Practice
- Evidence-Based Nursing Practice
- Advanced Health Assessment
- Advanced Pathophysiology
- Advanced Pharmacology
- Transforming Nursing Practice through Leadership, Policy, and Advocacy
- 24 months
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Health Nursing Health Sciences View 781 other Masters in Nursing in United States
- Applicants must complete the Graduate School application first. Transcripts from all schools previously attended will be required by the Graduate School.
- Completing this step generates an ID number the applicant then uses to track the application materials and allows the student to register for classes.
- Prospective students should also submit the following to the School of Graduate Studies:
- A copy of a current CT nursing license, 2 letters of reference (one professional and one academic), a completed essay and an interview.
- Letters of reference must be on official letterhead.
International20756 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10378 USD per semester during 24 months.
National20756 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10378 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State8058 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4029 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for New Haven
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.