English - Creative Writing from Southern Connecticut State University focuses on the development of the writer through experiences in the writing workshops and the creative thesis, but writers also need to be readers and study literature, so our students study literature from ancient world lit to contemporary lit with experts in each field. Other courses focus on literary theory, composition and rhetoric, and teaching collegiate-level writing. In some cases, MFA students may also teach their own courses.
Graduates with English - Creative Writing from Southern Connecticut State University will:
- have the necessary experience to become publishing writers
- have the experience to become university instructors of creative and expository writing
- have a comprehensive foundation in intensive literary study, literary analysis, literary theory, and critical writing
- be versatile critical thinkers and perceptive, able communicators, prepared for the post-graduate job market, in positions such as freelance writers, editors, grant writers, teachers, technical writers, proofreaders, copyeditors, publicists, media and marketing associates, freelance reporters, and administrators in arts organizations
- Prose Fiction Writing
- The Writing of Poetry
- Contemporary Poetic Theory
- Early Victorians: 1837-1870
- Later Victorians: 1870-1914
- Victorian Novel
- Classical Drama
- Contemporary Critical Theory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Creative Writing View 383 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
- send in a completed MFA Program Application Form;
- submit a 1,000-word Statement of Purpose in which they explain why they are interested in pursuing graduate studies in Creative Writing, and discuss themselves as writers.
- include a sample of their creative work in the genre to which they are applying
- three letters of recommendation (the letters of recommendation should be mailed directly to applicants in sealed envelopes with the signature of the recommender across the flap of the envelope).
- Hold the foreign equivalent of a United States bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education with an undergraduate grade point average of at least "B." (On various grading scales this would be at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, 14 on a 20 point scale.)
- Present certified copies and certified English translations of all academic achievements in each college or university attended.
- Official Transcripts
International19768 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9884 USD per semester during 24 months.
National19768 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9884 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State7674 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3837 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for New Haven
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.