We work with students who attend full-time and students who attend part-time, and we are committed to working with the student’s needs in mind.
Our Creative Writing curriculum at Southern Connecticut State University focuses on the development of the writer through experiences in the writing workshops and the creative thesis, but writers also need to be readers and study literature, so our students study literature from ancient world lit to contemporary lit with experts in each field. Other courses focus on literary theory, composition and rhetoric, and teaching collegiate-level writing. In some cases, MFA students may also teach their own courses.
Our MFA Program in Creative Writing is designed to graduate fiction writers and poets who
- have the skills and experience to become publishing writers;
- have the experience and depth of knowledge to become university instructors of creative and expository writing;
- have a comprehensive foundation in intensive literary study, literary analysis, literary theory, and critical writing;
- become versatile critical thinkers and perceptive, able communicators, prepared for the post- graduate job market, in positions such as freelance writers, editors, grant writers, teachers, technical writers, proofreaders, copyeditors, publicists, media a
- Prose Fiction Writing
- The Writing of Poetry
- Contemporary Poetic Theory
- Early Victorians: 1837-1870
- Later Victorians: 1870-1914
- Victorian Novel
- Classical Drama
- Contemporary Critical Theory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Creative Writing View 982 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- Hold the foreign equivalent of a United States bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education with an undergraduate grade point average of at least "B." (On various grading scales this would be at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Present certified copies and certified English translations of all academic achievements in each college or university attended. A diploma is not sufficient. The complete record of courses and marks earned and/or record of subjects and examination results must be received. Documents presented by applicants must detail the award of either a bachelor 's degree or equivalent or a graduate degree.
International20756 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10378 USD per semester during 24 months.
National20756 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10378 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State8058 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4029 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for New Haven
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.