Designed for working professionals, the fully online Scientific and Technical Communication program of the University of Minnesota includes 21 credits (7 courses) in the Department of Writing Studies and nine credits (typically three courses) in a related field competency area that may also be fulfilled by a graduate-level minor.
To complete in two years:
- Five courses in year one that introduce students to the field of technical communication and cover topics such as writing with digital technologies, information design, usability and human factors, and editing and style.
- Five courses in year two, which include the following:
- The related field competency area: typically three courses (9 credits) outside the major.
- An elective course in health, science and medical writing; international professional communication; or grant and proposal management.
- A final professional practice capstone course.
If a student has previously completed the certificate in technical communication (year one courses), all five courses transfer to the MS program upon admission.
- Graduate Studies in Scientific and Technical Communication
- Information Design
- Usability and Human Factors in Technical Communication
- Editing and Style for Technical Communicators
- Writing with Digital Technologies
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Informatics & Information Technology Corporate Communication View 82 other Masters in Design in United States
- Graduate School Application
- Upload unofficial transcripts or academic records from each undergraduate and graduate institution you attended to the Academic History section of the online application
- For non-native English speakers: TOEFL, IELTS
- Personal Statement: In approximately 500 words, outline your immediate educational and long-range career objectives in relation to your chosen field
- Diversity Statement
- Extenuating Circumstances Statement: This statement is optional but will be taken into consideration if submitted
- Upload two (2) writing samples into the “Other Materials” portion of the Materials section of the online admissions system
- Letters of Recommendation (3 letters)
- Application Fee
International28578 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14289 USD per semester during 24 months.
National28578 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14289 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State18468 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9234 USD per semester during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.