By the time you have completed this MRes in Computer Science programme at Birkbeck, University of London , you will have gained an in-depth theoretical and practical knowledge of your chosen area of study, which you will be able to use in problem analysis, evaluation and application of technologies, and research into new technologies.
- This course will give you the research knowledge and skills you need to continue on to MPhil/PhD research.
- You will have the opportunity to undertake your research within an ongoing research project in the Department.
- The Department of Computer Science and Information Systems at Birkbeck is one of the longest-established computing departments in the UK, having celebrated our 60th anniversary. We provide a stimulating teaching and research environment for both part-time and full-time students.
- The Birkbeck Knowledge Lab draws on multi- and interdisciplinary perspectives and methodologies from across the sciences, social sciences and arts, to investigate how digital technologies and digital information are transforming our culture and how we learn and work.
- You will have 24-hour access to several laboratories of networked PCs with a range of language compilers, database and other application software. We are connected, via the SuperJANET network, to the computers of other academic institutions in London, elsewhere in the UK and abroad.
- In the Research Excellence Framework (REF), more than 75% of our research outputs in Computer Science were ranked world-leading or internationally excellent.
Careers and Employability
Graduates go on to careers in software engineering, information systems management, consultancy, or research. Possible professions include database administrator, IT consultant, or systems developer. This degree can also be useful in becoming a systems analyst, information systems manager, IT sales professional, or technical author.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- MRes Computer Science Research Project
- Research Methods
- Advances in Data Management
- Internet and Web Technologies
- Machine Learning
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesComputer Sciences Software Engineering View 210 other Masters in Software Engineering in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
A second-class honours degree (2:2 or above) or MSc in computing or other relevant degree with a substantial amount of programming, preferably in an object-orientated language.
- You should also have completed introductory courses on computer networks and databases.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16020 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16020 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9360 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9360 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.