Graduates of this Research Master in Philosophy at Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) are capable of developing a philosophical research project and draw up a funding application that can be filed with local, national or international funding institutions. They are able, within their areas of specialisation, to formulate original and innovative research problems based on a duly founded insight into the internationally recognised state-of-the-art in that domain. Graduates of this programme are able to work out original solutions to the selected research problems, and argue their cases clearly and convincingly. They are trained in academic writing, which enables them to act as lead authors of academic articles.
The research seminars that constitute the core of the programme cover a wide range of philosophical domains. Some relate to socially relevant topics (i.e. more applied philosophy) while others relate to more fundamental, purely philosophical domains.
All degree programmes offered by VUB are accredited by the Dutch-Flemish Accreditation Organisation (NVAO), ensuring that they meet the highest predefined quality standards. Alongside this official quality control system, VUB has an internal Quality Control Commission in charge of permanently monitoring the quality of education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Study Philosophical Psycholgy
- Capita Selecta in Modern and Contemporary Philosophy: Analysis and Texts
- Global Ethics
- Sexual and Relational Ethics
- Issues of Ethics and Value Theory
- Philosophy of the Enlightenment
- Contemporary Culture and Political Philosophy
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Ancient History General Studies & Classics View 7 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in Belgium
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Students who have achieved the greatest distinction in a bachelor’s degree in Philosophy, in Moral Sciences or in Philosophy and Moral Sciences at a Flemish university. These students are required to attend the full programme of 120 credits.
- Students who have achieved great distinction or greatest distinction in a master’s degree in Philosophy, in Moral Sciences or in Philosophy and Moral Sciences at a Flemish university. These students can be exempt from 60 credits of the programme and obtain the degree upon the successful completion of a track of 60 credits.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International980 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 980 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA980 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 980 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Brussels
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.