The Master in Philosophy at Università della Svizzera Italiana (USI) :
- stands out for the international stature of its professors;
- is research-oriented, aimed at preparing to the most demanding PhD programmes around the world;
- has a clear focus in Metaphysics, Philosophy of Science, Philosophy of Mind, Ancient Philosophy and Medieval Philosophy.
- requires students to submit regular written work, to produce research papers and to develop their presentation and discussion skills.
Some courses are particularly concerned with the topic of time and existence, aiming at providing a full grasp of two central linked philosophical topics, which are both hot in the contemporary discussion and much debated by the ancient and medieval thinkers.
MAP’s first aim is to equip students for the most demanding PhD programmes around the world. This orientation is clearly evident both in the structure of the master and in its well-designed didactic. MAP students not only receive feedback on the essays they write but are also provided with suggestions on how to professionalise their written works for future publications.
Moreover, since students are trained within the Swiss academic network, they will be eligible to apply to the significant amount of fundings that Switzerland invests in research every year. Switzerland is unusual in making available generous research grants both in universities and at the national level.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Ancient Philosophy
- Medieval Philosophy
- Temporal consciousness
- Philosophy of Physics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences Philosophy & Ethics General Studies & Classics View 5 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in Switzerland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The formal requirement for admission to the Master's degrees in Philosophy is a Bachelor's degree granted by a recognised university in the field of Philosophy or related disciplines.
- Admissions will be treated on a case by case basis.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International7420 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7420 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA7420 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7420 EUR per year during 24 months.
- National: CHF 2000
- International: CHF 4000
Living costs for Lugano
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.