This Sport Management programme at Birkbeck, University of London covers several key areas, such as sport event management, sport economics and sport competition design, sport marketing, and sport governance and regulation. It will help you to develop a deeper understanding of management, governance and regulatory issues within the business of sport
The programme is ideally suited to the needs of executives within a variety of sport organisations, such as professional sport clubs, sport governing bodies and media organisations. It is also ideal for members of supporters’ organisations, local government officials with responsibilities in the leisure field, as well as people with a general interest in the sport and media industries. It is relevant for anyone seeking a broad general education in sport management with a view to switching career into the sport business sector.
We also offer an MSc Sport Management and Marketing and, for those individuals with an interest in the business of football, we offer an MSc Sport Management and the Business of Football.
- A comprehensive review of the theory and practice of the business and management of sport. Visiting speakers include experts from the legal profession, football clubs and football regulatory authorities.
- The Department of Management is an internationally recognised centre of excellence in teaching, research and consultancy.
- Our academic staff are active researchers as well as enthusiastic teachers, and regularly publish cutting-edge articles in the world's leading journals.
- Linked to Birkbeck's Sport Business Centre, one of the world's leading centres for sport business and football research, teaching, training, consultancy and policy advice.
- We engage in significant collaborative research and have excellent contacts with many public and private sector organisations, professional bodies and researchers at other academic institutions.
- You will have access to Moodle, our online learning resource where all information and materials relating to your programme of study and modules are available, as well as the Birkbeck Library and e-Library.
Careers and Employability
Graduates can pursue careers in sports administration, as consultants and/or business/administrative managers. Possible professions include consultant, business/administrative manager, or customer service manager. This degree can also be useful in a variety of roles within sports organisations, such as FIFA, and in becoming a sports administrator or sports development officer.
- Sport Economics and the Design of Competitions
- Sport Event Management
- Sport Governance
- Sport Marketing
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
More informationGo to the programme website
DisciplinesManagement, Organisation & Leadership Sports Management Sports Sciences View 1348 other Masters in Management, Organisation & Leadership in United Kingdom
- Our standard postgraduate entry requirement is a second-class honours degree (2:2 or above) from a UK university, or an equivalent international qualification.
- We will review every postgraduate application to Birkbeck on its individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
- On your application form, please list all your relevant qualifications and experience, including those you expect to achieve.
- You do not need to have completed your current qualification to start your application.
International5950 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5950 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA3850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3850 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Check the programme website for information about funding options.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.