The Initial Licensure program at Valparaiso University is designed for any individual who has an undergraduate degree in an area of study other than teacher education and who wants to pursue graduate studies to become licensed as an elementary or secondary school teacher.
Through classroom study and integrated teaching experience in real classrooms, students transition from knowing their subject to knowing how to share that passion with others. After 21 months (two academic years and one summer), candidates complete their degree and can apply for licensure. Once licensed, Valpo graduates are eligible to teach in public schools in Indiana and dozens of other U.S. states.
Upon successful completion of the program, teacher candidates are eligible for a master of education from Valparaiso University and, after passing all assessments required by the state and the education department, an Indiana initial teaching license.
This teaching license qualifies an individual to teach in public and some parochial school settings in Indiana. Indiana teaching licenses are reciprocal with teaching licenses in more than 40 other states and territories in the United States.
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Educational Psychology
- School and Society
- Designing Curriculum, Assessment, and Learning Plans
- Diversity and Equity in Education
- Seminar: Efficacy in Professional Practice
- Learning Exceptionalities
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation View 3516 other Masters in Education in United States
- Graduate from an accredited college or university
- Valpo’s graduate application
- Official transcripts from all university courses you’ve taken
- Two recommendation letters from professors or employers
- A statement of purpose that describes why you are applying to Valpo, your interest in the degree program, and how it affects your personal and professional development
- Application fee
International650 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 650 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National650 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 650 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.