Structural biology allows you to understand how macromolecules work at the atomic level of detail. This is important, particularly in designing drugs that act at the molecular level to affect macromolecules.
Increasingly, research uses a range of complementary biophysical and structural techniques to study protein-protein interactions. This requires that researchers have some understanding of what all these techniques can achieve. This Structural Molecular Biology (3-Year) programme at Birkbeck, University of London is designed to give the theoretical background required to use this range of methods.
- In the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF), in a joint submission with UCL, Biological Sciences at Birkbeck were ranked 11th in the UK, with a research environment supporting world-leading and internationally excellent research.
- Part of the Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology, a joint initiative with University College London.
- Birkbeck houses state-of-the-art equipment for x-ray crystallography, cryo-electron microscopy and tomography and associated image processing. We have excellent facilities for UV and CD spectroscopy, calorimetry, fluorescence spectroscopy, ultracentrifugation, and protein expression and purification in the biochemical and molecular biology laboratories. We have high-performance computing for data analysis. All areas have specialised computer equipment for data analysis, molecular graphics and molecular modelling and programming.
Careers and Employability
Graduates go on to careers in research, science writing, teaching and academia. The course is particularly suitable for staff already working in industry as graduates, to enlarge their theoretical background and to complement their practical experience. Possible professions include higher education lecturer, research scientist, or science writer. This degree can also be useful in becoming a secondary school teacher or physical scientist.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Macromolecular and Cellular Electron Microscopy
- Principles of Protein Structure
- Protein Bioinformatics
- Protein Crystallography
- Protein Expression, Purification and Biophysical Characterisation
- Protein Structure Determination
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesBiology Molecular Sciences Biochemistry View 10 other Masters in Molecular Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
A second-class honours degree (2:2) or above in science, computing or mathematics, or equivalent qualification, or relevant work experience.
- Applications are reviewed on their individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5340 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5340 GBP per year during 36 months.
National3320 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3320 GBP per year during 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.