The program has 34 faculty members and a 2:1 faculty to graduate student ratio. Environmental science topics constitute the majority of research conducted in the department, with a core focus on the emerging area of land-atmosphere interactions. The Land and Atmospheric Science program of the University of Minnesota has no formal tracks or emphasis areas, but instead allows students to design a curriculum that addresses their interests withing the scope of the program.
Graduate Research in LAAS
Research topics in Land and Atmospheric Science are diverse and highly interdisciplinary. Graduate students and faculty work together on both applied and basic science problems. Current research is focused on: biogeochemical cycles of carbon, nitrogen, and phosphorus; impacts of climate variation on natural and managed ecosystems; the sources, transport, and fate of pollutants in soil, air, and water; improving and protecting land, air, and water quality; developing sustainable agricultural practices to ensure high quality agricultural products; and modeling the complex interactions between the land and atmosphere.
Graduates of our program have strong career opportunities and occupy positions in academic research and teaching institutions; agricultural industries; state and federal government agencies; international agricultural and environmental agencies and foundations; environmental consulting firms; and others. Graduates find careers closely related to their graduate training. Over the period 1995 to 2010 nearly 90% of our graduates found employment in their respective disciplines.
- Integrated Topics in Land & Atmospheric Science
- Land and Atmospheric Science Seminar
- Research Ethics in the Plant and Environmental Sciences
- Soil Chemistry and Mineralogy
- Precision Agriculture and Nutrient Management
- Atmospheric Processes I: Thermodynamics and Dynamics of the Atmosphere
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Climate Studies & Meteorology Environmental Sciences View 690 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in United States
- Complete the Departmental Summary Form and upload it under Graduate Program Additional Application in the Program Supplementary Information section in ApplyYourself.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Applicants for whom English is a second language should have completed the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Complete the Graduate School Application Form electronically.
- Unofficial transcripts or academic records should be uploaded directly to the online application. International students should also upload an English translation if the transcript is not in English.Please do not mail in paper copies of your transcripts, there is no need for official transcripts or academic records for initial review.
- If applicable: Upload your publications and articles into the Other Information portion on the Graduate Program Supplementary Information section of the ApplyYourself online application.
International29864 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29864 USD per year during 12 months.
National29864 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29864 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State19754 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19754 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Minneapolis
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.