The Historical Research (Economic and Social History) programme at Birkbeck, University of London will give you the advanced conceptual, theoretical and practical skills you need to undertake historical research, particularly statistical analysis, at an advanced level, professionally or for doctoral research.
The programme will equip you with an awareness of contemporary historical practice and an understanding of the methodologies used in the analysis and interpretation of historical documents and other primary and secondary source material.
Careers and Employability
Graduates can pursue careers in research and archiving, museums and galleries, education, or journalism. Possible professions include researcher, archivist, or journalist. This degree will also provide graduates with the skills to undertake historical research at PhD level as well as professionally and independently. It may also be useful in becoming a higher education lecturer, museum education officer, or Civil Service administrator.
- Intermediate Quantitative Social Research
- Mastering Historical Research: Birkbeck Approaches
- Britain and Germany: The History of a Relationship, 1815-1990
- China and the West: Encounters
- Civil Society: Ideas, Practices and Dilemmas in the Modern World, 17th Century to the Present
- Cultural History of War in Britain and America between the First World War and the Conflict in Vietnam
- Darwin, Darwinism and the Modern Ages
- Death, Disease and Early Modern City
- Early Modern London: Society and Culture
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesEconomics History Sociology View 551 other Masters in Sociology in United Kingdom
A second-class honours degree (2:2) or above in a humanities or social sciences subject and references.
- The application form
- Your personal details
- Your qualifications
- Your work experience
- Your personal statement
- Statistical information
- English proficiency
International16380 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16380 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9030 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9030 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Part-time home students: £4515 pa
- Part-time international students: £8190 pa
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.