The Historical Research (Economic and Social History) programme at Birkbeck, University of London will give you the advanced conceptual, theoretical and practical skills you need to undertake historical research, particularly statistical analysis, at an advanced level, professionally or for doctoral research.
The programme will equip you with an awareness of contemporary historical practice and an understanding of the methodologies used in the analysis and interpretation of historical documents and other primary and secondary source material.
- Arts and humanities courses at Birkbeck are ranked fourth best in London and 18th in the UK in the Times Higher Education 2017-2018 World University Subject Rankings.
- In the Research Excellence Framework (REF), History at Birkbeck was ranked sixth in the UK for the percentage of our research deemed world-leading or internationally excellent. Of our eligible staff, 94% submitted research, and we achieved 100% for a research environment supporting world-leading and internationally excellent research.
- Our Department is home to thriving student societies and a number of affiliated research centres that actively run seminars, conferences and other events where some of the world's best scholars present their latest research. These include the Pears Institute for the Study of Antisemitism, the Raphael Samuel History Centre and the Birkbeck Institute for the Humanities.
- We are also at the heart of academic London with access to world-class research resources. We are five minutes' walk from the British Museum and the British Library, and the Institute of Historical Research - with its internationally renowned library collection and seminars that you can attend - is nearby. The Museum of London is a short tube ride away.
- The Eric Hobsbawm Postgraduate Scholarship fund offers a full fee-waiver for Home, EU and Overseas Master's students in the Department of History, Classics and Archaeology (part-time awards are pro-rata).
- Birkbeck Library has an extensive history collection, including the major specialist journals, and access to online materials.
Careers and Employability
Graduates can pursue careers in research and archiving, museums and galleries, education, or journalism. Possible professions include researcher, archivist, or journalist. This degree will also provide graduates with the skills to undertake historical research at PhD level as well as professionally and independently. It may also be useful in becoming a higher education lecturer, museum education officer, or Civil Service administrator.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Intermediate Quantitative Social Research
- Mastering Historical Research: Birkbeck Approaches
- Research Dissertation
- Britain and Germany: The History of a Relationship, 1815-1990
- China and the West: Encounters
- Civil Society: Ideas, Practices and Dilemmas in the Modern World, 17th Century to the Present
- Cultural History of War in Britain and America between the First World War and the Conflict in Vietnam
- Darwin, Darwinism and the Modern Ages
- Death, Disease and Early Modern City
- Early Modern London: Society and Culture
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesEconomics History Sociology View 487 other Masters in History in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Second-class honours degree in a humanities or social sciences subject and references.
- We also offer a one-year Graduate Certificate in History, which can be used as a conversion course if you want to study history at postgraduate level, but have a degree in a significantly different discipline.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15200 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8350 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.