The MFA in Art requires the completion of a total of 60 semester hours of course work, which includes 33 hours of studio courses; 24 hours must be taken in the student’s area of concentration; 9 hours will be taken in a minor studio area.
The student must take 12 hours of art history courses and 3 hour seminar, ART 6383, The Art Profession.
The final semester includes Art 7300, Graduate Exhibition and Art 7301 Graduate Paper on Art 7300, Graduate Exhibition and Art 7303 Graduate Thesis. In addition, graduate students must complete six hours of graduate level university electives.
More informationVisit official programme website
- The Art Profession
- Art History Seminar I: Topics in European Art
- Art History Seminar II: Topics in American Art
- Art History Seminar III: Topics in Latin American Art Prior to A.D.
- Art History Seminar IV: Topics in Latin American Art Since A.D.
- Topics in Art History
- Art History Seminar V: Topics in Viceregal Latin American Art
- Art History Seminar VI: Research Methods in Latin American Art and Architectural History
- Advanced Studies in Art History and Criticism
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 522 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or a recognized international equivalent in a similar or related field, with a minimum of 60 hours of art at the undergraduate level.
- Undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0.
- Official transcripts from each institution attended (must be submitted directly to UTRGV).
- Personal statement detailing artistic direction and professional goals.
- Three letters of recommendation from professional or academic sources.
- Submission of 20 digital images of recent works in major area of concentration with label information (Title, Medium, Size, Date).
International31796 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15898 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National15196 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7598 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.