This Food Science program of the University of Minnesota involves the application of the principles of chemistry, microbiology, processing technology, and consumer issues to the production of high quality, safe, and wholesome foods.
Specific Objectives of the Program
- To provide graduate level education for post-baccalaureate students interested in applying science and engineering principles to the theoretical and practical aspects of the entire food chain - from raw material production to product utilization by the consumer.
- To provide a focus for graduate study and research in Food Science at the University of Minnesota.
- To aid in promoting interactions with other disciplines which relate to the study of food science.
Why Choose the University of Minnesota?Choosing a graduate program of study can be a difficult task, but here are a few reasons why choosing the University of Minnesota will be one of the best choices for your future career:
- Our prestigious faculty members have received numerous accolades for their teaching, excellence in advising, leadership and academic performance.
- We are unique in our integration of Food Science and Nutrition. By hosting two disciplines within our department, students have the opportunity to share discoveries in the same laboratories, attend many of the same classes, and share common goals. With the food industry trending towards healthier living, we can provide students a unique interdisciplinary learning opportunity.
- Most of our graduates accept positions in food or related industries. With Minnesota serving as the headquarters for several large international food companies including General Mills, Cargill, Land O'Lakes and many more, we are uniquely positioned to form close working relationships between students, faculty and industry professionals. These relationships prove invaluable in guiding research focuses, access to facilities and eventually post-degree employment.
- We have a dynamic Food Science and Nutrition Club that is active locally and nationally. Locally, members help organize and participate in the Minnesota sections of the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT), American Dairy Science Association (ADSA), Minnesota Chromatography Forum, and American Association of Cereal Chemists (AACC). Nationally, club members have served in and chaired the national IFT Student Association (IFTSA). They have won or placed near the top in the IFTSA Food Product Development and College Bowl competitions, and have received Chapter of the Year awards.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Food Chemistry and Functional Foods
- Food Microbiology
- Food Processing Operations
- Food Fermentations and Biotechnology
- Molecular Biology for Applied Scientists
- Food Analysis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
We do not have an application deadline.
DisciplinesHealth Sciences Food Sciences View 155 other Masters in Food Sciences in United States
- Applicants to the program need a bachelor’s degree in any field or its international equivalent
- Prerequisite coursework: General chemistry with lab, Organic chemistry with lab, Physics with lab, Biology with lab, Calculus (college level or documented equivalent)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test score
- TOEFL (for international students)
- Resume listing any work, education, publications, teaching and research experience
- Three recommendations
- Unofficial transcripts or academic records should be uploaded directly to the online application
International28344 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28344 USD per year during 12 months.
National28344 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28344 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State18720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18720 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Minneapolis
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.