The Masters of Arts in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language (TCFL), taught cooperatively by Saginaw Valley State University and Ming Chuan University at the SVSU home campus, is designed to prepare Chinese (Mandarin)/English bilingual graduate students to teach Chinese to adult English speakers for a variety of purposes in academic and/or business settings. Graduate students will receive instruction in and make application of knowledge in the following domains as they relate to second/foreign language acquisition and pedagogy: language and linguistics, curriculum and instruction, cross-cultural accommodations, technology use, and assessment.
SVSU has partnered with Ming Chuan University to offer a Master of Art in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language (TCFL) program. This program is designed to prepare Chinese/English bilingual graduate students to teach Chinese to adult English speakers for a variety of purposes in academic and/or business settings. The program courses will be taught to Chinese students in English.
- Syntactic Structures and Rhetorical Patterns of Chinese
- Semantic and Pragmatic Aspects of Chinese
- Cross-Cultural Communications for Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language
- Contrastive Analysis and Error Analysis
- Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language Through Literature
- Teaching Chinese for Specific Purposes
Introduction to U. S. Culture, Language and the Educational System
Instructional Methodology, Assessment, and Environments for Language Learning
Second Language Acquisition and Foreign Language Learning
Professional English for Foreign Language Teaching
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Teaching View 919 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- A completed application form
- In English, a one-page Personal Statement of accomplishments and academic goals
- A current resume
- A photocopy of the highest degree/diploma
- In sealed envelopes, an official copy of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts from any college or university where college credit was earned
- Two letters of recommendation in sealed envelopes
- The non-refundable application fee: Per person: $80.00 US
- A photocopy of the transcript of Chinese language proficiency: TOCFL B and B Level 4 or HSK 6 (Chinese native speakers are waived)
International20577 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 20577 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
National9514 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9514 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.