Psychological Approaches to Health (MSc) is ideal for those students inspired by psychology and wanting to pursue a career in psychology, health promotion, research or healthcare.
Areas you’ll explore more in-depth include:
- medical error
- behaviour change and psychological wellbeing
- impact of new health interventions
- the effects of multidisciplinary teamwork in healthcare
- concerns of healthcare delivery such as patient safety, government policy and economics
The Psychological Approaches to Health course from University of Leeds draws on theories derived primarily from health and social psychology but also cognitive, biological and clinical psychology. The topics delivered will develop your understanding and knowledge of how to promote healthy behaviours and reduce unhealthy behaviours, issues around patient safety such as the causes and consequences of medical error, as well as obesity, weight loss, malnutrition and anorexia of ageing. You will also develop a range of statistical, methodological and practical skills around systematic reviewing of evidence from primary studies and conducting health-related studies/experiments, as well as transferable skills including critical thinking, team working and communication. The course will be delivered through interactive seminars, practicals, tutorials, lectures and group/problem-based learning approaches.
The majority of our former students have gone on to work in healthcare, as assistant psychologists, research assistants and clinical psychologists. Others have developed careers in training departments, health promotion and health and safety roles in both public and private sectors.
A substantial proportion of our students further develop their research interests and academic careersby choosing to study for a PhD.
- Advanced Research Issues in Psychology
- Advanced Research Methods
- Systematic Review
- Health Behaviour Change: Theories, Methods and Interventions
- Theory and Intervention in Food and Nutrition
- Psychology of Patient Safety
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPsychology Health Management Health Sciences View 855 other Masters in Psychology in United Kingdom
- A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in psychology or a discipline containing a substantial amount of psychology and research methods training. In addition, successful applicants will normally have at least a UK upper second class grade or equivalent in research methods-related modules taken as part of their undergraduate degree.
Living costs for Leeds
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.