Should I Pursue the Accelerated Cohort or the Traditional Pathway?
Choose the Accelerated Cohort if you:
- can take the equivalent of a full-time course load for five consecutive terms, including summer.
- are able to intern 35−40 hours per week at an agency during the internship experience.
- are eager to proceed through the program with a cohort of peers taking the same coursework at the same time.
- would like to save on tuition by completing the program at pace.
Choose the traditional, flexible path if you:
- need flexibility in the courses you choose and the number of credits you might want to take each term due to work, family, or other obligations.
- would like to extend your internship by going part-time, 20−35 hours per week.
- already hold an allied license or have eligible credits you would like to transfer to the program.
Unique ADDC Program Benefits
What makes the Addictions Counseling program of the University of Minnesota stands out:
- A faculty of distinguished educators, clinicians, and public policy advocates
- A case-based learning approach to enhance understanding of counseling theories and techniques
- A curriculum that integrates co-occurring substance use and mental health disorders
- Course content that addresses the counseling needs of a diverse society
- An inclusive, welcoming student environment
- Addiction Studies
- Evidence-Based Practices and the Helping Relationship
- Applied Psychopharmacology
- Methods & Models I: Motivational Counseling
- Methods & Models II: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Group Work
- 20 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Counselling Psychology View 1261 other Masters in Psychology in United States
The following items are required for admission:
- a bachelor's degree from an accredited post-secondary US institution, or its foreign equivalent
- an undergraduate GPA of 3.0
The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is not required
Diversity statement: Optional
Extenuating Circumstances statement
Two letters of recommendation
Resume or CVGRE Scores
If your native language is not English, please submit scores from the TOEFL, MELAB, or IELTS English proficiency examination
International14940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 830 USD per credit during 20 months.
National14940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 830 USD per credit during 20 months.
- Accelerated Cohort: $16,000 for Year 1; $8,000 for Year 2
- Part-time: $830.00 per credit
Living costs for Minneapolis
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.