Emphasis is on the development of effective counseling, assessment skills, consultation, transition planning, and collaboration skills.
Candidates are prepared to sensitively serve the needs of a culturally diverse group of children in the public school setting. In addition, the individual will be trained to keep abreast of current research in order to apply appropriate, up-to-date, and empirically valid research findings to effective educational, counseling, and treatment practices.
School Guidance Counseling Candidates at American International College will:
- Understand various levels of curriculum demands and the principals of child and adolescent development as they relate to the needs of diverse learners in consideration of the tasks related to student advising, scheduling, college application and career training.
- Apply core theory and research regarding the cultural context of relationships, including current issues and trends in a multicultural and diverse society, to the practice of school counseling.
- Exhibit the knowledge base and skills needed to ethically and effectively deliver a range of professional counseling and consultation services within the educational setting.
- Provide and implement interventions in collaboration with partners (teachers, parents, students, administrators and support agencies) to develop: student planning and decision making; and promote accurate and appropriate interpretations of assessment data and other relevant information.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Theories of Counseling
- Principles and Practice of Guidance
- Theoretical Basis for School Counseling Practice
- Psychology of Development
- Psychology of the Exceptional Child
- Issues and Ethics in Psychology
- Theories of Learning Disabilities
- Group Counseling
- Therapeutic Techniques and Consultation
- Applied Research Methodology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Counselling Educational Psychology View 979 other Masters in Counselling in United States
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended are required (regardless of whether or not a degree was earned), including proof of a baccalaureate degree. Transcripts from institutions outside the United States must receive a course by course credit evaluation through a recognized service. AIC accepts evaluations from all active members associated with NACES. For more information please visit: naces.org
- Two letters of recommendation. It is preferred that one letter be from an immediate supervisor
- Personal statement prompts
International13170 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 439 USD per credit during 12 months.
National13170 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 439 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Springfield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.