Modern biology generates massive quantities of big data. Hidden in this data might be the next blockbuster cancer therapy, the definitive proof that a certain gene is responsible for a disease, or the information needed to replicate a crucial biological process — and you could be on the team that discovers it.
The Bioinformatics MicroMasters Program Is offered by EdX in partnership with University System of Maryland - USMx.
Bioinformatics blends biology, computer science and mathematics and in this Bioinformatics MicroMasters program you’ll gain the cutting edge knowledge and experience that will give you significant career advantage in this fascinating field.
In this program, you will learn how to analyze DNA sequences to find mutations and anomalies, understand the important role protein structure plays in protein function and use statistical analysis tools, including R programming, to mine biological big data.
This program is ideal for those who want to learn more about the bioinformatics field and its effects on society at large or who would like to incorporate bioinformatics principles and tools into their laboratories.
- Bioinformatics Scientist is expected to grow rapidly in the next several years and have roughly 10,000 new job openings (O*Net Online).
- Medical Scientist is expected to grow at 8% resulting in 9,000 new jobs (BLS).
- Top industries are the government, private, scientific, and technical services sectors for careers in positions such as bioinformatician, bioinformatics analyst, bioinformatics software engineer, and bioinformatics scientist (O*net online).
What You'll Learn:
- How to align DNA/RNA and protein sequences and the theory behind the algorithms that make them possible
- The effects of mutations on cellular processes and the structure of proteins
- How to generate model structure of proteins
- Basic R programming to analyze biological data
- How to apply packages in the R environment to typical problems in bioinformatics
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- DNA Sequences: Alignments and Analysis
- Proteins: Alignment, Analysis and Structure
- Statistical Analysis in Bioinformatics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 6 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesBiology Informatics & Information Sciences Bioinformatics View 517 other Masters in Informatics & Information Sciences in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International747 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 747 USD for the full programme and a duration of 6 months.
National747 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 747 USD for the full programme and a duration of 6 months.
5% discount coupon: Z7LZNQ4TN3B2JTWU valid for any free course + certificate upgrade
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.