Requirements for the degree
- Unconditional admission to the Master of Music program before completing 12 hours of coursework.
- Unconditional admission to the Master of Music degree in Voice program requires satisfactory completion of an entrance examination in foreign languages and foreign language diction. Applicants are expected to be proficient in French, German, and Italian diction and competent in translating in two of these three foreign languages to English. Deficiencies are met by attaining a grade of “C” or higher in prescribed remedial courses.
- Satisfy University degree completion requirements.
- Complete the Master of Music core requirements and the requirements for a concentration in performance or music education.
- Pass the Comprehensive Capstone Examination appropriate to the program emphasis.
- Form and Analysis
- Graduate Music History Survey
- Research Methods and Materials
- Studies in Musical Style
- Seminar in Music History
- Private Applied
- Private Applied Pedagogy and Performance Practice
- Graduate Recital
- Comprehensive Capstone Examination: Performance
- Additional Music Electives
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMusic View 1111 other Masters in Music in United States
- Completion of a bachelor's degree in music from an accredited institution or its equivalent with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on all undergraduate music courses above the freshman level.
- General admission to graduate study (for criteria, refer to "Admission to Graduate Study").
- Completion of the Graduate Music Entrance Examination in music history/literature and music theory (analysis). The music entrance examination must be completed prior to the first semester of enrollment and is administered at the start of the fall, spring and summer I semesters by the coordinator of graduate studies in music.
- Successful completion of an audition for the appropriate music faculty is required for admission
International570 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 570 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National570 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 570 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
In-State570 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 570 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
At MSU we offer a variety of institutional, foundation-funded, and departmental scholarships. Our merit-based institutional scholarship program encourages some of the best and brightest students to become Eagles. Students are automatically considered for institutional scholarships based on their admissions application. Our MSU Foundation awards nearly 600 annual student scholarships, valued at approximately $800,000. These are made possible through generous donations of MSU donors and alumni. Students can apply for MSU Foundation scholarships by using the online scholarship application
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.