The mission of the collaborative Clemson University/College of Charleston Graduate Program in Historic Preservation is to educate future leaders in the documentation, evaluation, interpretation, and conservation of historic structures, sites, objects, and landscapes with the goal of developing appropriate preservation strategies for a sustainable future. Utilizing Charleston and the Lowcountry as a laboratory, students in this professional degree program acquire the diverse skills necessary for rewarding professional careers.
Areas of emphasis include:
- Architectural History and Cultural Significance
- Documentation and Interpretation of Landscapes, Buildings, Interiors, and Objects
- Historic Building Materials, Techniques, and Treatments
- Contextual Design and Planning
- Conservation Science and Material Analysis
- Preservation Policy and Cultural Resource Management
- Sustainability and the Economics of Rehabilitation
The Graduate Program works in close collaboration with a number of national and Charleston-based initiatives including the American College of the Building Arts, Colonial Williamsburg, Drayton Hall, Historic American Building Survey of the National Parks Service, Historic Charleston Foundation, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the Palmetto Trust for Historic Preservation, Preservation Action, the Preservation Society of Charleston, and Warren Lasch Conservation Center as well as local architects and preservation professionals.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- History and Theory of Historic Preservation
- American Architecture
- Historical Research Methods
- Investigation, Documentation, Conservation
- Preservation Studio
- Cultural and Historical Landscape Preservation
- Conservation Science Laboratory
- Building Technology and Pathology
- Historic Preservation Research Seminar
- Preservation Law and Economics
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory View 490 other Masters in History in United States
- Official transcripts from all academic institutions
- Official GRE scores
- TOEFL scores if your primary language is not English
- Letters of recommendation
International36132 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36132 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National36132 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36132 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State13770 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13770 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.