Students are educated and must demonstrate proficiency in a particular subdiscipline, but have the opportunity to pursue research that spans multiple fields of chemistry and other disciplines if they so desire. This approach provides our students with both the rigorous training and the broad perspectives needed to address present-day scientific and technological challenges. Most students are admitted to the Chemistry and Chemical Biology program to work toward a Ph.D. degree, but applications from students whose goal is a terminal M.S. degree will be considered in special cases. However, a student who has been in residence for at least two semesters, is in good academic standing, and has passed the preliminary exam may petition the Admissions Committee to pursue a terminal M.S. degree. The recipient of a M.S. degree is understood to possess knowledge of a broad field of learning that extends well beyond that attained at the undergraduate level, but is not necessarily expected to have made a significant original contribution to knowledge in that field.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Complete at least two semesters of full-time academic residence (12 units minimum) at UC Merced;
- Complete a minimum of 24 semester units, at least 12 of which must be earned in 200 series graduate-level courses;
- Complete the required courses for one of the available emphasis tracks, with a letter grade of at least “B” in each course (“S” in seminar courses graded S/U);
- Earn a passing grade in a course addressing scientific ethics, approved by the Educational Policy Committee;
- Serve as a teaching assistant for at least one semester;
- Pass the preliminary examination.
- Prepare an acceptable thesis describing original research in the field.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemistry Biology Genetics View 149 other Masters in Genetics in United States
The minimum requirement for graduate admission to UCM is a bachelor’s degree, or any other degree or certificate which the Graduate Division accepts as equivalent, and a grade point average no lower than 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Performance on the GRE, accomplishments in undergraduate research, and letters of recommendation will also be evaluated as important determinants of an applicant’s potential for success in graduate education.
International11442 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5721 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National11442 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5721 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
In-State11442 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5721 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.