The MA degree in Democracy and Human Rights at Birzeit University seeks to develop interdisciplinary research and study skills, and knowledge production and innovation related to the development of a more democratic public sphere in Palestine and the world, with a focus on the protection of human rights and human dignity. Develop a national emancipatory understanding and practice related to the questions of democracy and human rights.
The Program addresses itself to students who are interested in any aspect of Democracy and Human Rights, including educators (schools, institutes, and universities), workers in government and civil society organizations, and academic researchers interested in democracy and human rights issues.
- Capable graduates, who can contribute to building and consolidating democratic societies that respect and protect human rights and human dignity.
- Interdisciplinary academic research oriented towards contributing to achieving a better life for Palestinians through developing democratic structures and the respect of human rights.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- English Language for Studying Social Sciences
- Social Sciences
- Using the Library, Data bases, Search Engines, and Scientific Documentation
- Critical Reading and review of Literature
- Scientific Writing and Argument Construction
- Research Proposal Writing
- Field Work
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Applicants are expected to have a specialization that falls within Humanities, Social Sciences or Law. Applicants from other disciplines may be considered. Program Council reviews applications and may require completion of (no more than) 6 credit hours (90 hours of class meetings) in remedial course work which the Council will specify. Remedial course credit hours do not count towards graduation.
- Interviews shall be required in cases where the Program Committee deems necessary. Applicants may be asked to write an essay in lieu of the interview. Nature and specifications of the essay will be determined by the Committee.
International176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 176 USD per year during 24 months.
National176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 176 USD per year during 24 months.
- 125 JD
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.