The Sustainable Materials (SUMA) master programme at KU Leuven involves studies in two different institutions (depending on your Programme Path selection), an internship in a company and a Master thesis in collaboration with a company. Learn more about the course and partner university locations below.
SUMA aims to educate tomorrow’s materials engineers with:
- Up-to-date technical skills and state-of-the-art technological knowledge
- An entrepreneurial mindset, focused on the sustainability of industrial activities
More informationVisit official programme website
The SUMA programme structure consists of the following parts:
The backbone: a solid scientific and technical basis, broadly covering aspects of:
- Materials and Processing
- Sustainability and Recycling
- Circular (eco)design and Life Cycle Engineering
- Materials Substitution
- The heart and brain: courses on Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- The arms and legs: an internship and the Master Thesis
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Sustainable Development View 16 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in Belgium
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Engineering or equivalent. Candidates must have obtained* a BSc diploma (or equivalent) of substantial quality and at a level corresponding to at least three years’ study at a university, equivalent to 180 ECTS.
- English proficiency: the minimum for the SUMA Master’s is a TOEFL score of 86, with a minimum of 20 on both speaking and writing, or an IELTS score of 6.5, and a minimum of 6 on speaking and writing for non-EEA students who are not native speakers.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.