The object of this Health, Physical Education, and Recreation MSc program offered at Emporia State University is to build upon a well-rounded health and/or physical education foundation and a specialized knowledge of concepts and methods in teaching and coaching, which will enable the student to pursue a productive career in teaching health or physical education and/or coaching various sports. The program also provides students, who have appropriate undergraduate preparation, the expertise for employment in wellness and fitness programs. Responsibility for a student's program is vested in an advisor charged with arranging the student's course work and supervising research activities.
Students must present an acceptable undergraduate background in health, physical education, or recreation representing a breadth of preparation comparable to that required for an undergraduate concentration in HPER at Emporia State University. Students lacking some prerequisites in their undergraduate preparation may be required to complete additional courses as prescribed by the advisor and committee.
Students take all course work through web-based classes. While students are never required to come to campus they are always welcome. This online format is a significant benefit for students who have coaching responsibilities, are raising families, or live in areas outside of an easy drive to Emporia. All courses are taught by faculty members with doctoral degrees and/or by faculty members who are nationally recognized in their fields. Students from all 50 states, as well as several foreign countries, have entered and completed this degree program.
- Analysis of Teaching and Coaching
- Motor Learning
- Exercise Metabolism
- Sociology of Sport
- Curriculum Development in Health Education
- School Health Issues and Trends
- Instructional Methods in Health Education
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesSports Sciences Health Education View 134 other Masters in Sports Sciences in United States
- Have a 2.5 overall GPA, as well as a 2.75 GPA in the last 60 credits of college work
- Possess a degree in physical education or related field (i.e., health, corporate wellness, athletic training, etc.)
- Non-native English speakers should submit official English proficiency test (TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo English Test) scores. Non-native English speakers who do not submit a test score will need to take an English placement exam upon arrival to Emporia State University.
- Emporia State University offers beginner, intermediate and advanced courses for students who need to improve their communication skills.
- The duration of time to complete the Intensive English Program is based on the English Proficiency Test score as well as the student's initiative and performance in class. Students may be allowed to enroll in one or more academic courses while enrolled in the Intensive English Program depending on their placement scores.
International12059 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12059 USD per year during 12 months.
National12059 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12059 USD per year during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.