The programme includes instruction in modern analysis, Schenkerian analysis, history of music theory, and seminars in music theory and music history. An important feature of the curriculum is the flexibility in elective course work appropriate to the interests and needs of the student.
Throughout the program, students participate in the department's music theory colloquium. The program includes proficiency examinations in music analysis, ear training, tonal counterpoint, keyboard harmony, score reading, and German reading translation. During the second year, a thesis in music theory is written under the supervision of a music theory faculty member. A comprehensive examination in music theory is taken at the end of the program.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Music 1900 to 1950
- Schenkerian Analysis
- Music Theory Seminar
- Music Theory Colloquium
- Pro-seminar in Music History
- History of Music Theory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesMusic View 993 other Masters in Music in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- 3.0 (out of 4.0)
- 3.7 (out of 5.0)
- 80% (out of 100)
- 70% (out of 100) India/Canada
- GCSE - five *passes with grades of A,B or C. * Four of the five passes must be English, Mathematics, Natural/Physical Science and Social Science
- GCE - five * passes with grades of A,B or C. * Four of the five passes must be English, Mathematics, Natural/Physical Science and Social Science
- Pearsons Test – score 52
International25390 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25390 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National25390 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25390 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
- Undergraduate and Transfer students are considered for a partial tuition scholarship ($6,000.00 to $16,000.00). Scholarships are offered to the most qualified students making application for the Fall & Spring Academic Terms.
Continuing Academic Talent Scholarship:
- If you demonstrate above average performance while enrolled at the University you will be considered for a partial tuition scholarship ($2,000 to $4,000). You must complete 30 credit hours with a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 out of 4.0.
Family Grant Programme:
- If a student has a brother, sister, parent or spouse as a student, only one tuition fee will be paid full, while the other one will be halved.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.