This Applied Linguistics MA programme offered at the University College London (UCL) explores language from a wide range of perspectives.
This programme will provide students with insights into applied linguistics and language education from socio-cultural, discourse, bilingual, cognitive, and global perspectives. It will also develop students' capacity to analyse, evaluate and synthesise linguistic data, primary and secondary sources, as well as helping them to design research.
Graduates of this programme include university and college lecturers, senior managers and directors of study in private and state sector schools, textbook, materials, and content writers, editors and publishers, journalists, NGO project officers, education consultants, policy advisers and researchers, and consultants in different industries, including aviation.
- Bilingualism and Multilingualism
- English in Diverse World Contexts
- Fundamentals of Second and Foreign Language Teaching
- Language and Identity
- Language at Work: Communication in Professional, Institutional and Cultural Contexts
- Language Testing and Assessment
- Materials Development for Language Teaching
- Multimodal Communication
- Second Language Acquisition
- Sociolinguistics and Sociocultural Theory
- Teaching and Researching Speaking and Listening
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- We recommend you apply as soon as possible. The programme may remain open if places are still available and will be closed as soon as it is full or by 30 June.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 538 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
- Normally a minimum of a second-class UK Bachelor's degree in a relevant subject (e.g. English, languages, linguistics, communication), or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard is required.
International24000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10800 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK: £5,400
- International: £12,000
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.