The Romance Languages MA at The City University of New York may be taken either as a final degree or as preparation for doctoral work. It is accepted in lieu of the first year of study in the PhD program at the City University. See the Bulletin of the Graduate Center for a description of the PhD programs.
- A total of 30 credits from the Literature of Specialization including a Thesis Seminar (3cr) for those students electing to write a master’s essay.
- In addition to a high degree of competence in the language of specialization, candidates must demonstrate a reading knowledge of a second Romance language, German, or Latin.
- Candidates must pass a written examination on the field of study, in the language of specialization.
- The master’s essay is optional. Topic is determined in consultation with the principal adviser. Thesis Seminar, to be taken concurrently with preparation of the essay, is completed when the essay is approved be the principal adviser and another faculty member.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages View 751 other Masters in Languages in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission to graduate study is contingent upon admission requirements of Hunter College and upon approval by a departmental committee.
- Where general scholarship is superior, but the applicant did not major in the field, or preparation in that field is deemed to be insufficient, an examination and/or enrollment in specified undergraduate courses will be required.
- Before matriculation, applicants must demonstrate proficiency in the language of specialization.
International25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25650 USD per year during 12 months.
National25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25650 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11090 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11090 USD per year during 12 months.
- Resident: $470 per credit
- Non-resident: $855 per credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.