This is a full-time program that may require students to attend classes on campus and at clinical settings during traditional work hours. Some class meetings will be online and some will take place in the evenings on campus.
The Secondary Education - 5th-Year Nontraditional program from Samford University accommodates those working part- or full-time and also enables admitted students in good standing to work in classrooms with provisional certificates. Since observation in a variety of authentic classroom settings is crucial to the formative process, teacher candidates enrolled in the program are required to complete a specified number of observation hours per term, which is dependent upon their course schedule.
The program is composed of 36 credit hours, depending upon the prospective student’s transcript, plus any prerequisite credit hours necessary for admission. These 36 hours include 24 hours in professional courses, including a semester-long clinical internship, and 12 hours focused on a specific content area as declared by the candidate. The program is paced so that candidates are able to compete all requirements in just five semesters.
Students who graduate from Samford University with their master’s in secondary education are highly desired and employable in a number of content fields. We frequently receive emails from local school systems asking if we have any available graduates. With regularity these requests lead to full-time employment for students who are still enrolled in the program.
Secondary Teacher (middle school or high school) in the following content areas: biology, English/language arts, general science, history, math, physical education, social studies
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Foundations, Trends, and Issues in Education
- Using Assessment and Technology to Impact Student Learning
- Designing Instruction for Diverse and Exceptional Learners
- Diversity and Learner Development
- Content Area Literacy
- Teaching Physical Education
- 20 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTeaching Secondary Education View 1898 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- Possess a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and have graduated with a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Online application for admission.
- $35 Application Fee.
- Official Transcript(s) from all higher education institutions attended. Transcripts are considered official only when they bear the issuing institution’s seal and arrive with the seal intact.
- Passing score on Praxis Core.
- Alt A applicants having a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher will be exempt from taking the Praxis CORE tests at admission. All other Praxis test requirements will remain intact based on the current Teacher Education progression timeline.
- Passing score on Praxis test in subject field of choice.
- Dispositions form filled out by current supervisor.
- Interview with program director.
International19958 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 924 USD per credit during 20 months.
National19958 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 924 USD per credit during 20 months.
Living costs for Homewood
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.