The Secondary Education - 5th-Year Nontraditional program at Samford University accommodates those working part- or full-time and also enables admitted students in good standing to work in classrooms with provisional certificates. To this end, courses are offered in the late afternoon, evening or a combination of online and face-to-face formats. Since observation in a variety of authentic classroom settings is crucial to the formative process, teacher candidates enrolled in the program are required to complete a specified number of observation hours per term, which is dependent upon their course schedule.
The program is composed of 36 credit hours, depending upon the prospective student’s transcript, plus any prerequisite credit hours necessary for admission. These 36 hours include 24 hours in professional courses, including a semester-long clinical internship, and 12 hours focused on a specific content area as declared by candidate. The program is paced so that candidates are able to compete all requirements in 16–18 months.
Objectives and Curriculum
Graduates of Secondary Education Fifth-year Nontraditional program will master the following concepts:
- Concept-based curriculum design and writing (e.g. unit and lesson planning)
- Classroom management
- Pedagogical content knowledge
- Differentiation of instruction
- Action Research (investigation of interventions designed to positively impact student content learning)
- Learning theories
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Foundations and Issues
- Student Development and Learning
- Methods, Management and Technology
- Exceptional Learners and Collaboration
- Curriculum, Reading, and Assessment
- Internship for Secondary Education
- Teaching Physical Education
- Teaching Secondary Spanish
- Teaching Secondary English
- Teaching Secondary Mathematics
- 16 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation View 4063 other Masters in Education in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Possess a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Online application for admission. Please be sure to list your personal e-mail address on the application.
- $35 Application Fee. This non-refundable fee is payable by credit card and is waived for Samford alumni, and current Samford students, faculty or staff.
- Official Transcript showing bachelor’s degree.
- Passing score on Praxis Core.
- Passing score on Praxis test in subject field of choice.
- Dispositions form filled out by current supervisor.
- Interview with program director.
International23274 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 862 USD per credit during 16 months.
National23274 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 862 USD per credit during 16 months.
Living costs for Homewood
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.