You explore teaching methods and the description of English used in the investigation of language learning and teaching, and study additional topics according to your needs. These might include:
- How second language learners acquire the four skills as well as language systems
- How the four skills, vocabulary and grammar can be taught
- How language learning can be assessed and tested
- How different aspects of the psychology of language learners and teachers influence learning and classroom practice
- How language lessons are planned, how materials are evaluated and designed, and how language classrooms can be managed
Takers of our Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) course offered by the University of Essex and other courses in English Language Teaching come with the specific intention of entering the ELT/TESOL profession, which they duly go on to do.
Experiences English language teachers also join us to update their expertise and return to the classroom with a career enhancement.
The specialist knowledge you gain enables you to take senior or specialist roles, not necessarily only in the classroom but also in educational advice and management, programme evaluation, syllabus design and teacher education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Teaching, Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking in TEFL/TESOL
Language Learning and Teaching
Language Testing and Assessment
English for Specific Purposes: Traditions and Practices in Language Teaching
Educational Leadership and Management
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
We recommend that you apply as soon as you are able to.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Teaching Teaching English View 549 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A 2.2 degree (or international equivalent) in the following disciplines: English Language Studies, English Language and Literature, Teaching(English), Linguistics, Modern Languages.
- We will also consider applicants with a degree in an unrelated area but which contains a substantial element of English language, language education, linguistics, language studies or language teaching, or who can demonstrate a personal or professional interest or expertise in English and/or English language teaching..
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19740 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19740 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9200 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Home/UK fee: £4,600
- International fee: £9,870
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.