The Counseling Psychology program from Frostburg State University is committed to science-based training and was the first counseling psychology master’s program in Maryland and only the sixth nationwide to receive accreditation from the Master’s in Psychology Accrediting Council. The FSU master’s program is focused on the development of your personal qualities, understanding and professional skills that will make you an able practitioner in the field. The program includes significant self-discovery as well as the acquisition of the competencies of a professional counselor.
- Complete the Master of Counseling Psychology program in three years – two in classroom study and one in an internship.
- Enroll in a program that prepares you to take the next step in the CPC (Certified Professional Counselor) certification process.
- Be part of a program with graduates working as mental health counselors, marriage and family counselors, crisis counselors, drug and alcohol counselors, college counselors or enrolled in doctoral programs.
- Be part of a small cohort of graduate students to facilitate group interaction and learning.
- Participate in small classes with an average student-to-faculty ratio of ten to one.
- Complete a personal growth experience that includes individual therapy to gain a broader perspective of the counseling relationship through directly experiencing the role of the client.
- Complete a year-long internship working in a mental health setting and graduate with 1,000 hours of supervised clinical experience required for you to move from Liscensed Graduate Professional Counselor (LGPC) status to Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC) status which is a desirable asset for potential employers.
- Join Psi Chi, the National Honor Society for psychology students and be eligible for special scholarships, attend psychological conventions, and present papers at conventions.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, professionals in the counseling psychology field can anticipate job growth of about 23%, much faster than average, through 2026.
The M.S. in Counseling Psychology Program is accredited by the Masters in Psychology and Counseling Accreditation Council (MPCAC)
- Advanced Research Evaluation and Interpretation
- Small Group Dynamics/Group Counseling
- Advanced Developmental Psychology
- Psychological Issues in Career Counseling
- Child & Adult Psychopathology
- Professional, Ethical & Legal Issues in Counseling
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Counselling Psychology View 1300 other Masters in Psychology in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Frostburg State University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- You must have completed a baccalaureate degree at a regionally accredited institution of higher education (verified by an official transcript) with an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. If you have NOT earned at least a 3.0 GPA, you must submit a minimum score on the general GRE of 300 or MAT score of 410. Scores below these thresholds can be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Personal Statement
- 3 References (contact information will be requested in the online application, forms or letters should be sent with paper application.
- Selected students will be invited to an interview. In person interviews are preferred but in special circumstances skype or telephone interviews may be conducted.
- Undergraduate preparation must include the following courses for a total of 15 credit hours (or their equivalent as determined by the Psychology Admissions Committee)
International17220 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 574 USD per credit during 24 months.
National17220 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 574 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 446 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Frostburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.