Why study with us?
- Designed around you: choose up to four courses in an area outside of engineering. Diversify your skills in areas such as business, design, or entrepreneurship.
- Relevant in the real world: connect with business through industry-based projects, guest lectures, mentorship and case studies.
- Ready for your future, ready for the world: our professional practice and leadership courses will help you develop skills in project management, complex problem solving, innovation and communications. Choose a major project that’s linked to industry or focused on research.
- Recognised by industry and globally: take your career anywhere in the world with international recognition through Engineers Australia and the Washington Accord. The Academic Ranking of World Universities ranks UON in the Top 300 for Civil Engineering.
- Powerful learning: our smaller student cohort means you’ll have greater access to teaching staff and be part of a close-knit student community.
Engineers work on a huge range of tasks in many different environments – industries like electronics, energy, food, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, construction, environmental health and transportation. Engineering continues to be one of the most in-demand qualifications in the world, with many countries desperate to fill a shortage of professional skills in this field.
A Professional Engineering (Civil) program from University of Newcastle will open up even more varied career opportunities, empowering you to take on a leadership role, start your own business or manage major engineering projects.
- Salaries: As an engineer, you’ll be valued and well rewarded. Starting salaries for our postgraduate engineers average around $154,000 which is above the national average. *
- Flexibility: Some engineers work 9-5 in an office, others fly-in-fly out from a project site. You might prefer hands-on fieldwork, design and development, or managing people and projects.
- Global opportunities: As a qualified engineer you can travel the world and work almost anywhere you choose. Professional recognition through Engineers Australia lets you work in places such as Canada, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Russia, Turkey, the UK and the USA.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Managing Engineering Projects
- Reinforced Concrete Design
- Steel Design
- Theory of Structures 2
- Advanced Analysis for Design
- Geomechanics 2
- Water Engineering
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
- 96 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
International: It is recommended you submit your application a minimum of 12 weeks before your intended semester or trimester start date.
DisciplinesCivil Engineering & Construction Materials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 40 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Newcastle and/or in Australia, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
CRICOS code: 098283G
Direct admission into the 3 year MPE (Civil) Pathway A:
- Graduates from the University of Newcastle or another institution with a non-engineering Bachelor Degree with at least 20 units of study in Mathematics (especially calculus and linear algebra); and Science, as related to Civil Engineering AND a UON GPA of 4.5 or above. You may also be eligible for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) which will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Direct admission into the 2 year MPE (Civil) Pathway B with 80 units of Recognition (RPL):
- Graduates from the University of Newcastle or another institution with a Bachelor Degree (AQF 7) in Civil Engineering AND a UON GPA of 4.5 or above.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International41780 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 41780 AUD per year during 36 months.
National31085 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31085 AUD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Newcastle
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.