The Theatre and Performance programme of University of Worcester will enable you to acquire fundamental research skills while carrying out a major research project of your choice.
The MRes offers an ideal bridge to further postgraduate study (e.g. a PhD) or to acquire, transferrable employer-related skills in areas such as project planning and management, time management, research and data analysis, digital literacy and report writing.
- A bridge from undergraduate to postgraduate study
- Develop advanced research skills (e.g. in areas such as literature review and research methods)
- Work with national and international experts in your field
- Develop your practice or performance and/or carry out a major research project in a topic of your choice
- Acquire project management skills including: independent working; being able to devise, research, and execute a substantial research project; the ability to set goals, priorities and schedules; and to develop data analysis skills such as using electronic and online resources.
Where could it take you?
This course will help you to develop both intellectual and technical competencies in research. It will prepare you for academic careers by covering the fundamental components of academic research: developing a topic, literature review, method and analysis, and the planning and execution of a substantial piece of written or practical research. Through the 'apprenticeship' model, your work will be closely integrated with that of an expert supervisor and with an academic department giving you valuable experience of contributing to and working within a community of scholars. This will allow possible development towards further postgraduate research such as a PhD. From our first intake onto the MRes programme in 2016-17, two of our graduates went on to gain competitive, fully-funded 3 year PhD bursaries in the region.
An MRes in Theatre and Performance will also help you to progress towards a career in equivalent professional practice or research-based employment. This might include, for example, acting, teaching, or working for a theatre, theatre company, drama group, training company, or arts or heritage organisation. In the context of an ever-expanding information economy, an MRes would prepare you for work in any organisation looking for literate and research trained staff. Further support will be available to you via the Research School's Student Researcher Development Programme. This provides workshops in, amongst other things, oral presentations, public engagement, writing CVs, bid writing, and entrepreneurial opportunities.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Developing and Managing Your Research
- Research Approaches in the Arts and Humanities
- Thesis Preparation Module
- MRes Research Project
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 178 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United Kingdom
- A First or Upper Second-Class Honours (2:1) Degree, or equivalent award, in Theatre and Performance or a related subject
- Appropriate research or professional experience, which can be verified by evidence of achievement. This might include, for example, research related experience in a theatre, theatre company or drama group, training organisation, arts or heritage organisation, or museum, etc.
- International applicants will be required to demonstrate comparable prior subject experience and to have an appropriate level of written and spoken English
International13700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13700 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA7080 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7080 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- UK / EU, EEA: 590 GBP per 15 credits
- INTERNATIONAL: 1,142 GBP per 15 credits
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.