- The Garden and Landscape History programme at School of Advanced Study, University of London emphasises design and management, ownership, and the cultural contexts of gardens and landscapes.
- You will be introduced to key historical approaches, sources, and methods relevant to the study of gardens and landscapes throughout history. You will learn a range of research and writing skills and be taught by expert tutors from, or associated with, the Institute of Historical Research (IHR), where there is a strong emphasis on tutor-student interaction in class.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Module 1 (autumn term): Theory and Practice in Garden and Landscape History (60 credits):
- Resources for garden restoration (Hampton Court)
- Conservation theory and practice
- Italian Renaissance philosophy and garden design
- Sustainability and contemporary garden and planting design
- Politics and gardens
- Picturesque theory
- Visits to RHS Wisley, the National Archives, RHS Lindley Library and the Garden Museum Archives
- Develop students’ knowledge and understanding of gardens and landscapes in different countries
- Develop students’ critical analysis and judgement
- Demonstrate the importance of context and the relationship of garden and landscape history to other disciplines such as literature, social history, film and visual media, and the history of ideas
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Landscape Architecture Modern History View 101 other Masters in Landscape Architecture in United Kingdom
- The normal minimum entrance requirement would be a First or Upper Second Class Honours degree from a recognised university in the UK, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard in any discipline in the humanities that is related to the course.
- Applications from candidates who do not meet the formal academic requirements but who offer alternative qualifications and/or relevant experience, could be considered.
- English is the language of instruction and applicants are required to demonstrate an appropriate level of proficiency.
International15500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15500 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA6690 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6690 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.