They will learn how to acquire knowledge from a range of sources, including history, horticulture, architecture, and garden archaeology, in order to develop an appreciation of the study of garden history as a cultural discipline. Students will be able to appreciate differences in garden-making over time and in different countries, from the medieval period to the present day in Britain, Europe and America.
Module descriptions can be seen below.
The MA degree is comprised of Module 1, Module 2 and the Dissertation.
Module 1 can be taken as a standalone module to achieve a Postgraduate Certificate in Garden and Landscape History.
Module 1 and 2 can be taken as standalone modules to achieve a Postgraduate Diploma in Garden and Landscape History.
More informationVisit official programme website
Module 1 (autumn term): Theory and Practice in Garden and Landscape History (60 credits):
- Resources for garden restoration (Hampton Court)
- Conservation theory and practice
- Italian Renaissance philosophy and garden design
- Sustainability and contemporary garden and planting design
- Politics and gardens
- Picturesque theory
- Visits to RHS Wisley, the National Archives, RHS Lindley Library and the Garden Museum Archives
- Develop students’ knowledge and understanding of gardens and landscapes in different countries
- Develop students’ critical analysis and judgement
- Demonstrate the importance of context and the relationship of garden and landscape history to other disciplines such as literature, social history, film and visual media, and the history of ideas
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Landscape Architecture Modern History View 104 other Masters in Landscape Architecture in United Kingdom
- Degree transcripts/certificates.
- English language requirements.
- Personal identification.
- Personal Statement.
- Academic Writing Sample.
- Research Proposal.
International15200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15200 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA6560 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6560 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.