The Literacy Education program prepares certified elementary, middle school, or secondary teachers to pursue an advanced degree in literacy education.
Based on the International Literacy Association (ILA) Standards for Reading Professionals, this program will help prepare you for a wide range of literacy positions, including literacy coach, reading teacher, and/or literacy specialist. Additional courses may be required for the K-12 Special Reading Certificate following a DESE transcript analysis of undergraduate work. Enhances your opportunities to contribute to professional publications and presentations in the field of literacy education.
Program Learning Outcomes
The graduate with a Master of Science in Education degree in Literacy Education from University of Central Missouri will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to achieve the following professional skills:
- Demonstrate knowledge of major theoretical, conceptual, historical, and evidence-based foundations of literacy and language, the ways in which they interrelate, and the role of the reading/literacy specialist in schools.
- Use foundational knowledge to design literacy curricula to meet needs of learners, especially those who experience difficulty with literacy; design, implement, and evaluate small-group and individual evidence-based literacy instruction for learners; collaborate with teachers to implement effective literacy practices.
- Understand, select, and use valid, reliable, fair, and appropriate assessment tools to screen, diagnose, and measure student literacy achievement; inform instruction and evaluate interventions; assist teachers in their understanding and use of assessment results; advocate for appropriate literacy practices to relevant stakeholders.
- Demonstrate knowledge of research, relevant theories, pedagogies, and essential concepts of diversity and equity; demonstrate an understanding of themselves and others as cultural beings; create classrooms and schools that are inclusive and affirming; advocate for equity at school, district, and community levels.
- Meet the developmental needs of all learners and collaborate with school personnel to use a variety of print and digital materials to engage and motivate all learners; integrate digital technologies in appropriate, safe, and effective ways; foster a positive climate that supports a literacy-rich learning environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to be reflective literacy professionals, who apply their knowledge of adult learning to work collaboratively with colleagues; demonstrate their leadership and facilitation skills; advocate on behalf of teachers, students, families, and communities.
- Content Area Literacy
- Methods and Materials for Literacy Enhancement
- Assessment of Literacy Development
- Advanced Language Arts Methods: Culture and Communication
- Language Development in the Literacy Program
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
Students Staying in Their Home Country deadline: 2-3 weeks prior to the start of the semester.
DisciplinesEducation Literature Literacy Education View 167 other Masters in Literacy Education in United States
- have a minimum undergraduate grade point average of 2.5
- submit proof of teacher certification or professional endorsement from any of the 50 states or territories and have graduated from an NCATE or regionally accredited university
- submit a copy of his/her last summative teaching evaluation (i.e., a PBTE or similar evaluation form), or a letter from a school superintendent, principal or professor attesting to teaching skills and/or graduate studies potential.
Applicants who do not meet these criteria must design, with a faculty adviser or graduate coordinator, a conditional program and complete the first 12 hours of that program (including the school’s research course) with a minimum grade point average of 3.50.
International23730 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 678 USD per credit during 12 months.
National23730 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 678 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State11865 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 339 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Warrensburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.