Graduate students will design and implement research projects to provide solutions to real-life situations under the guidance of a faculty member in their area of specialty. We will work with you to customize your research project and coursework to match your interests and establish skills that will fuel your career aspirations.
Graduate Assistant (teaching) positions are available and provide support in the form of a tuition waiver and stipend, and help our MS students build the soft-skills required in every profession. Graduate Assistant (research) positions provide the same support and are available to students working with faculty on externally funded projects.
The Biology program's students at the University of Central Missouri have full access to the facilities operated by School of Natural Sciences through the faculty that make up those programs (i.e., Agriculture, Biology, and Chemistry). These resources include recently updated laboratories dedicated to research in chemistry, molecular biology, and wildlife biology, an R-Class animal care facility, two greenhouses, two farms, department vehicles/boat, multiple curated collections, and numerous pieces of specialized equipment that are required to produce publishable results in today’s scientific literature.
Program Learning OutcomesThe graduate with a Master of Science degree in Biology will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the theories and principles of biology and of the development of biology as a discipline in the student’s area of specialization.
- Utilize the language and concepts of biology effectively in oral and written presentations.
- Select, apply and interpret appropriate metrics and analyses to resolve biological issues and problems in the student’s area of specialization.
- Develop, implement and carry through to completion original research by utilizing the language and concepts of biology effectively in oral and written presentations.
- Develop and report, utilizing the language and concepts of biology effectively in oral and written presentations, secondary research based on literature search of published resources.
- Cellular and Molecular Processes
- Organismal Physiology and Morphology
- Natural History
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
Students Staying in Their Home Country deadline: 2-3 weeks prior to the start of the semester.
DisciplinesBiology Microbiology View 1224 other Masters in Biology in United States
- Have a minimum of 30 semester hours in biology, 8 hours of chemistry and a statistics course.
- Have a minimum 2.75 GPA overall.
- Have a cumulative general GRE score (verbal and quantitative) of 300 and an analytical writing score of 3.5 or higher.
- Submit the names and contact information for three references.
- Submit a statement of purpose and intent, which includes the proposed project, faculty member(s) involved, and how the project fits with the faculty member, as well as the student’s goals.
- Submit documentation to the school graduate coordinator of a UCM school faculty member agreeing to serve as the primary advisor. The faculty member must have full graduate status in order to serve as primary advisor.
- Submit to the school graduate coordinator the contact information for three references and the letter of purpose and intent.
International20340 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 678 USD per credit during 12 months.
National20340 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 678 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State10170 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 339 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Warrensburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.