- You can study this course online or on campus.
- You will produce a personal portfolio which in approach, style and vision looks to the forefront of current practices.
- The course allows you to extend your theoretical and contextual understanding of animation, its audiences and media culture.
- You will become familiar with professional-level enquiry, research, creative invention, project planning and management practices.
- The course is taught within a multi-disciplinary environment of discussion and exploration of ideas.
Why choose this course?
This award enables you to develop creative practical skills in a range of digital processes that are used in Animation and related fields. Within this course you can choose to focus in a particular area of animation such as 2D animation, 3D animation or combine the areas to create new forms and ideas from the fusion of techniques and styles.
Within 2D animation you can look at traditional animation techniques and blend these skills and approaches with new digital media to form new content and formats. You will explore the rich heritage of 2D animation and the possibilities of experimentation, both in form and content, that traditional animation has actively encouraged.
3D digital animation has become the most popular form of animated imagery over the past decade,used by more experimental practitioners who question the appearance, form and uses it has in present-day media. In this form, you will challenge your preconceptions of what 2D or 3D animation can do, which helps you become an innovator in the field. You will have the opportunity to explore the range of possibilities available to the practitioner, mixing technical knowledge of the subject with the creative freedom that an understanding of the theory and context of new media practices brings.
The Animation degree from University of Hertfordshire involves an induction, seminars and social events for students and staff, allowing you to be part of a friendly and supportive postgraduate community of film-makers, musicians and professionals working in new media. Senior research staff and internationally renowned professionals work with postgraduate students, helping to develop original and challenging work. Your study includes ways of thinking about the cultural resonance of your work, the audiences it is made for, the nature of creativity and the role of the cultural industries in a modern knowledge economy.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Creative Economies
- Major Study: Animation
- Research and Enquiry
- Practice: Media
- Media Discourses
- Research and Enquiry (Online)
- Creative Economies (Online)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Video Games & Animation View 563 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A degree in a relevant subject (2.2 minimum), plus a portfolio demonstrating recent engagement and creative activities in your intended study area is normally expected. Accreditation of professional experience may be possible for practitioners without a first degree.
- A minimum IELTS score of 6.5 overall with at least 5.5 in any component (or equivalent) is required for those whose first language is not English.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14750 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9750 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- UK: £810 per 15 credits
- International: £1230 per 15 credits
Living costs for Hatfield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.