About the course
- Enable students to initiate, develop and realise distinctive and creative work in the fields of film production and post-production
- Gain detailed knowledge and understanding of key production processes and professional practices relevant to the film industry
- Understand the structure and operation of the film industry, its global scope, regulatory frameworks, business practices, markets, and audiences.
- Develop a range of transferable and entrepreneurial skills which equip students to respond to the and future career challenges
- Gain an understanding of sustainability within the film industry, the impact of production on the climate, and the ways in which the industry can impact positively in this area, through a BAFTA albert accredited series of lectures and workshops.
There are major skills shortages in the UK film industry. 30,000 new jobs are to be created in the next few years, with most areas of the industry reporting a 35% gap in skills in the workforce according to Screen Skills.
Graduates are equipped for careers that could lead to work in the fields of producing, directing, cinematography and camera, sound recording and sound design, editing, and screenwriting. Additional future roles could be in the fields of marketing, distribution, development, production finance and management, script doctoring, social media and online media creation and further academic writing and/or study.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The structure of the programme is designed so that production is informed by the ideas of the writer, and writing is informed by the practicalities of production and post.
- Modules in film practice feature lectures and seminars on a range of concepts, practices, genres, and theories, which students discuss and develop in practice-based workshops in a range of settings, and with regular access to actors.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Management Media Studies & Mass Media View 360 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- To be eligible for the MA Film Production postgraduate course we consider students with either a 2:2 undergraduate honours degree in a closely related field (either Film or television Production, or closely related media production-based subject) or three years working in the industry in a related subject area. Please note, we do not want applicants without experience of being on set/having made short films or broadcast television/feature films. This is not a conversion course for those wanting to move into film - this is for advanced filmmaking.
- As part of your application students need to present at least two short film projects - documentary or scripted fiction - on which they have participated in a lead role of director, producer, or head of the department.
- A personal statement is also required which outlines your prior experience, intended industry aims and goals, and who your film industry influences are.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14750 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9750 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Hatfield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.