About the course
- On the MA Fine Art degree you will develop your individual creative practice in Fine Art.
- This postgraduate degree allows you to develop knowledge and understanding of current critical debate.
- Gain advanced technical and entrepreneurial skills for the successful creative practitioner.
- You will work alongside practitioners working in a range of areas of practice, in stimulating and challenging environment.
Why choose this course?
Within the postgraduate programme there is strong emphasis on professional practice and the real-world applications of art and design. You will develop key research skills and gain a good understanding of the work of other practitioners in your field.
The aim of the Fine Art programme, offered by University of Hertfordshire, is to equip you with the skills, knowledge and understanding required to practice at an advanced level, to foster your creativity and enhance your employment opportunities. You will work alongside artists and designers and benefit from contributions from visiting artists, designers, makers, as well as from involvement with our international exhibitions programme and gallery environment. This is the perfect opportunity to develop your individual creative practice and place it within the wider professional context of fine art.
You will work with other students to explore and challenge the boundaries of your practice and, through discussion, explore some of the key ideas that inform contemporary fine art practice. We strongly encourage conceptual experimentation and development of originality in use of materials to explore possibilities and realise the potential of your ideas. Seminars, research methods and debates will help you to advance, as well as technical skills.
Our staff are experienced in research and professional practice, and you will also benefit from contributions from visiting artists, designers, makers and other arts and design professionals, as well as from involvement with our international exhibitions programme and gallery environment.
Induction, seminars and social events for students and staff mean that you will be part of a friendly and supportive postgraduate community, which also includes film makers, musicians and professionals working in new media. Senior research staff and internationally renowned artists work with postgraduate students, helping you to develop original and challenging work.
The MA Fine Art is designed to enable you to operate successfully as a professional practitioner in your area of specialism. Graduates have gone on to establish studios, exhibit professionally, work as curators, Phd study, teaching, work towards site specific commissions.
- Creative Economies
- Major Study: Fine Art
- Research and Enquiry
- Practice: Art - 30 Credits
- Discourse and Reflection: Art
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History Liberal Arts View 246 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United Kingdom
- An honours degree (2:2 or above) in a field relevant to the award you want to study. If you do not have a degree, you will need to show you have appropriate professional experience and skills to benefit from the course. We may also be able to take into account accredited prior learning (APL) or accredited prior experiential learning (APEL).
- If your degree is in a different field, you will need appropriate knowledge, skills or experience in the field you wish to study, or be able to show that you are prepared for intensive new learning. In all cases you will need to demonstrate through a portfolio or interview your preparedness for study at postgraduate level.
International13950 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13950 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9450 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK/EU Students: £790 per 15 credits
- International Students: £1160 per 15 credits
Living costs for Hatfield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.