12 months
14905 GBP/year
9250 GBP/year
Tuition fee
Apply date
Start date


A Creative Arts research degree from University of Hertfordshire is an internationally recognised degree signifying achievement in research. Whereas an MA/MSc is a taught, modular programme, a Masters by Research is a programme of research and skills development negotiated with your supervisors and based on your own research proposal.

Visit the official programme website for more information


The Masters by Research degree may be undertaken in full-time (1 year) or part-time (2 year) modes in any Creative Arts discipline that the School engages with and for which we have appropriately qualified supervisory staff.  In the School of Creative Arts, we have a wide range of expertise in historical and theoretical research, as well as in practice-led/practice-based research, relating to fine and applied arts, film, media and TV studies, interior and architectural design, music and the music industry.

During the period of study for the Creative Arts research degree from University of Hertfordshire , you will develop a greater depth of subject expertise and independent research skills. You will undertake a focused research project for the duration of the degree, under the supervision and guidance of two or more academic members of staff who will be your supervisors. In addition, you will engage with a negotiated programme of selected generic skills development and careers workshops provided by the University of Hertfordshire Doctoral College.

Your Masters by Research project may be purely theoretical or contain elements of your own practice.  If there is a practice element, one of your supervisors would be a practitioner in the focal discipline, and appropriate studio space and/or workshop facilities would be made available if necessary. The School has a wide range of outstanding facilities for researchers in the broad area of creative arts, and the University library has an excellent range of relevant and up-to-date resources to support research in this area.

During the course of the degree, you would typically be given opportunities present your research at seminars and conferences, and to exhibit your practical work if it is part of the research project.  Some opportunities in this regard may be provided by the School or the University. 

What’s next for my career?

  • An internationally recognised research qualification.
  • Develop subject expertise at postgraduate level.
  • Develop research skills through practice and research experience.
  • Employers are looking for high calibre graduates with advanced skills who can demonstrate independent creative thinking and problem-solving through research.

Programme Structure

  • Research degrees are not taught programmes, however, programmes of supporting studies are a key element.
  • The School of Creative Arts has a lively research community staffed by supervisors whose research is world leading, Supervisory teams provide guidance in helping you to formulate and develop your research during the course of the programme.
  • We offer a range of subject specific research training throughout various research group seminars. Our research students are strongly encouraged to participate in modules in our taught Masters programmes, and the University also has an extensive Researcher Development Programme, which is provided by the UH Doctoral College and offers generic research training.

Key information


  • Full-time
    • 12 months
  • Part-time
    • 24 months
    • Flexible

Start dates & application deadlines

You can apply for and start this programme anytime.


IELTS admission requirements IELTS
TOEFL admission requirements TOEFL® IBT


180 alternative credits


On Campus

Academic requirements

GPA admission requirements GPA
Upper Second Class

English requirements

IELTS admission requirements IELTS
TOEFL admission requirements TOEFL® IBT

Student insurance

Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:

  • Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
  • Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
  • Liability
  • Home contents and baggage
  • Accidents
  • Legal aid

We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.

Get your student insurance now

Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.

Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Hertfordshire and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.

Other requirements

General requirements

  • An honours degree (normally at least 2:1 or above) in an appropriate discipline. IELTS entry requirement is normally a minimum of 6.5 or equivalent for overseas students, but a  higher score is desirable.
  • Before making your formal application, we recommend that you discuss your proposed research with the School’s Research Tutor, Dr Pat Simpson (see below under Key Staff for contact details).

Tuition Fee

To alway see correct tuition fees
  • International

    14905 GBP/year
    Tuition Fee
    Based on the tuition of 14905 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
  • National

    9250 GBP/year
    Tuition Fee
    Based on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.

Living costs for Hatfield

660 - 1140 GBP /month
Living costs

The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.


Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.

Our partners

Creative Arts
University of Hertfordshire


Go to your profile page to get personalised recommendations!