The MRes Arts & Humanities pathway will equip students to progress to doctoral research or to pursue careers in the arts, and the creative industries and the pathway emphasises professional skills alongside intellectual growth. The School's graduates have a strong track record in obtaining leadership roles in the arts and forging paths as leading practitioners within contemporary art practice.
We believe that research-informed approaches play an important role in new thinking in the arts, nationally and internationally, and the MRes pathway offers a training ground and networks to enhance developing careers.
The pathway offers:
- Training and support for the development of a research career in academia and/or the professional sphere of arts and humanities.
- A broad programme of interdisciplinary research methods training across art and design, at the interface of practice and research
- Focus on the public value and contribution of research through understanding ‘impact’ agendas for arts and humanities research
- A combination of time-tested and experimental research formats and approaches, including practice-led and practice-based research
- Designed to nurture an individual research project (potentially leading to PhD or public project) and including an individual tutorial system
- Includes collective and collaborative ways of working, leading to enhanced peer networking
- Taught by Internationally-active, public-facing researchers
- London research community, national and international partners including museums, arts organisations and academic subject specialist networks
More informationVisit official programme website
- MRes RCA students will share College-wide units on Research Methods, and Research Cultures, which will serve as the foundation to the programme, equipping students with the necessary intellectual framework and practical tools to progress through the award.
- Each pathway-specific unit enables students to extend the knowledge and understanding developed through the College-wide ‘Research Methods’ unit, enabling students to develop and demonstrate mastery of discipline-specific research methods.
- The MRes RCA concludes with a Personal Research Project, in which students apply the knowledge, skills and practices developed throughout the programme. The submission could take the form of an extended thesis or an original work of art, design or communication, along with a shorter thesis that defines the purpose, context and impact of the work.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media View 307 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
- Candidates for all taught postgraduate courses are assessed on their existing qualities as demonstrated in their work and in their interview, as well as on their potential to benefit from the course and to achieve required standards overall. The assessment will consider: creativity, imagination and innovation evident in the work; ability to articulate the intentions of the work; intellectual engagement in relevant areas; appropriate technical skills; and overall interview performance, including oral use of English.
- Candidates should have a good first degree in a related subject. We welcome applications from students of all ages, and view both prior academic and professional experience as valuable.
- Interview (if invited)
International32800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 32800 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA12350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12350 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
UK and EU students receive a subsidy from the British Government and pay a reduced fee. To qualify for the home or EU rate of tuition fees you will need to meet certain strict conditions related to your nationality, visa status and residency.
To find out more about how fee status is assessed, visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.