The Sport and Exercise Sciences programme of the University of Sunderland mixes taught elements with independent research and self-directed study. There is flexibility to pursue personal interests in considerable depth, with guidance and inspiration from supportive tutors. By the end of the course, you will have a portfolio of work, feedback from clients/employers, and a record of practical and academic projects.
Compared to undergraduate studies, this Masters has more emphasis on self-directed lab work, data collection and analysis. We encourage you to undertake real-world internships and build up experience with external clients and sports clubs. This practical experience will complement the rigorous research elements of the course.
Recent Sunderland graduates are now working within the fitness industry, sports development and in Further Education colleges. Potential employers include national sports associations, sports and leisure companies, recreation services, local authorities, health bodies including the NHS, and schools and colleges.
Job roles include the following (some require further training):
- Sports and exercise scientist
- Performance Analyst
- Sports coach/instructor
- Manager of health promotion initiatives
- Manager of cardiac rehabilitation and exercise referral
- Fitness centre manager
- Personal trainer/specialist fitness instructor
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Data Visualisation and Interpretation
- Advanced Sport and Exercise Sciences
- Professional Skills and Practice
- Strength, Conditioning and Rehabilitation
- Contemporary Issues in Sport and Exercise
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Apply at least 6 months in advance .
DisciplinesNutrition & Dietetics Sports Sciences Kinesiology View 137 other Masters in Nutrition & Dietetics in United Kingdom
- Sunderland's typical offer will be a 2:2 honours degree in a subject related to sport. We will consider applicants from other subjects though we may ask for a portfolio of evidence.
- The University recognises the value of professional experience. Prospective students with appropriate professional experience may claim exemption for up to 50% of the taught elements through Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning.
International13750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13750 GBP per year during 12 months.
National6750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6750 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Sunderland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.