This Fine Art programme offered at the University of Sunderland is built around your personal interests and aspirations. We’ll encourage you to develop your personal practice through studio-led research, critiques, analysis and questioning. Given the strong practical element we invite applicants to share their portfolios and aspirations with us at interview stage.
At Masters level, the specialisms of tutors are an important factor. Sunderland’s staff research includes painting, printmaking, studio-based drawing and collage, sculpture, collaborative practice, art in architecture, video and digital art.
- This course is built around your personal interests and aspirations – it allows you to push the boundaries of creativity, within a framework of academic rigour and contextual research
- You will be allocated an individual studio space and have access to university gallery spaces
- Boost your professional skills as a Fine Art professional including exhibition planning and promotion
- Get to work alongside other students from creative subjects and see how artists live, work and thrive in our ‘Creative Lives’ lecture series
EmploymentPostgraduates are highly employable and, on average, earn more than individuals whose highest qualification is an undergraduate degree. On completing this course, you will be equipped for roles throughout the media and cultural industries, for example as a practitioner, curator or educator. Opportunities could include arts development, public arts projects, community art organisations, social and art therapy support units, galleries and festivals.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Contemporary Fine Art Studio Practice: Test it
- Critical and Professional Contexts in Art and Design
- Contemporary Fine Art Studio Practice: Do It
- Contemporary Fine Art Professional Practice: Digital Document
- Contemporary Fine Art Research Project: Reflect
- Contemporary Fine Art: Exhibition
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 512 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
- Usually requires applicants to hold an honours degree in Fine Art or related art and design disciplines. We will consider applicants from other fields, as well as those with professional experience in the creative industries, if their portfolio is suitable.
- We ask applicants to present a portfolio of work. Your portfolio should demonstrate your skills and creativity and a desire to create Fine Art-based work. This should be presented as original pieces, photographs or in digital form.
International13500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13500 GBP per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA6750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6750 GBP per year during 12 months.
The part-time fee is £375 per 10 credits.
Living costs for Sunderland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- The Government offers several grants that don’t need to be paid back to help with the costs of Higher Education.
- Disabled Students Allowance.
- Childcare Grant - Full-time students with children.
- £1,500 tuition fee reduction (undergraduates) or £1,000 tuition fee reduction (postgraduates).
- £1,200 tuition fee reduction for each year of study - Students applying for full-time undergraduate programmes at partner colleges.
- £2,450 fee reduction for students applying for On-Campus Extended programmes.
- £2,000 for full-time Home and EU undergraduates with ABB grades at A Level or equivalent.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.